Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 doesn't seem to be available to existing customers

Gig1 is now available in my area. The postcode checker on the Virgin Media website says that M1000 is available but there is no upgrade option when I login. My neighbours who are not currently Virgin Media customers can order it fine.

Why is this not available as an upgrade to existing customers, who are out of contract, and only available to new customers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 doesn't seem to be available to existing customers

It is available to you, but you need to phone up to upgrade.  VM's options for online package changes have always been poor and never shown the full range.

But be careful what you wish for - seem to be a worrying number of Hub 4/Gig 1 customers who aren't entirely happy.  Your money, your choice, but I struggle to see the use for a gigabit home connection. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the insights and tip. I'm going to wait to see the feedback on Gig1.

I agree that there will be little real world difference between a 350Mbs and a 1Gbs connection. I'm more interested in whether there is an improvement in latency. As far as I understand it, Gig1 is being offered over DOCSIS 3.1 as opposed to 3.0 which could offer better latency with improvements in AQM and it can use things like Low Latency DOCSIS (LLD); I'm not sure whether VM have implemented it though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Whilst LLD can be implemented within D3.1, there's no compelling evidence that VM have done that.  In a discussion we had previously in the forum Respected Expert @gitty advised that LLD can be achieved in a retrospective software update, so it might yet happen.  But notwithstanding that gitty knows far more about the technology than I do, I remain sceptical - surely if VM wanted to do it they could have done it as part of the existing 3.1 rollout.  

From what I've seen of BQM's on this forum, on a fully working D3.1/Hub 4 connection peaking latency is marginally better than a Hub 3, but perhaps not by enough to justify the risks of a Hub 4, and unfortunately there's been rather a lot of Rocky Horror BQMs for Hub 4's.

A working cable connection can be fine for gaming (and my VM connection is), but my take is that if low latency is REALLY important, then cable is possibly not the connection you want, because FTTC is usually better in that respect.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the post Ploo and welcome to our community.

To check and order this you'll need to contact the team on 150/0345 454 1111 and they can put this through. 

Thanks, Emily.