Menu
Kenny26
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Gaining authorisation to assist elderly relative.

• Hi, I was looking for some assistance. My uncle is 94 years old and is the account holder but can't cope with the running of his account. I do not stay with him but helped to get all his services set up and try to deal with any issues, however he had a call yesterday from who he thought was Virgin ( his hearing is bad and he gets confused) We have agreed that I would be the main contact if Virgin needs to get in touch but I don't know how to go about it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kenny

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaining authorisation to assist elderly relative.

Good morning @Kenny26 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

There are a few things to consider here -

• We are able to accept that you are acting on his behalf but it would be consider that you are a 3rd party and therefor would only be able to do specific things, you wouldn't be able to end the contract for example. 
  • If you hold power of attorney then we would be able to accept all decisions as final. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M  

0 Kudos
oldshipbuilder
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My wife and I share the account but this isn't shown on bills and only my name is on it. I want my wife  to be able to discuss items with VM too. How can this be changed?

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @oldshipbuilder 

Its only possible to have 1 main account holder, your wife would be able to speak as a 3rd party but would not be able to make changes to the account. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Kenny26 wrote:
  • Hi, I was looking for some assistance. My uncle is 94 years old and is the account holder but can't cope with the running of his account. I do not stay with him but helped to get all his services set up and try to deal with any issues, however he had a call yesterday from who he thought was Virgin ( his hearing is bad and he gets confused) We have agreed that I would be the main contact if Virgin needs to get in touch but I don't know how to go about it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kenny

if it was a sales call then its likely it was from VM but if it was about anything else - router problems for example then it will have been a scam regardless of the fact it was said to be VM

so you need to check if he gave any info - bank details etc or allowed them to look at his computer on line - any of that is fraught with danger - if he gave bank details for supposed help then contact his bank - in fact i would do that just to be sure - if they wanted him to download anything to his computer then that needs looking at

afaik you can change contact details with VM and block all calls from them but that would not stop scam callers who said they were VM

Tony
Kenny26
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony, thanks for that, he didn't give out any bank details or anything like that. His hearing isn't great and he couldn't make out what the caller was saying. I tried the online chat to see if I could register my phone number as his main contact but no joy after being on for over an hour. Couldn't find a number to call either.

Thanks again,

Kenny

0 Kudos