Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Fraudulently amended contract - no way to resolve

Yesterday I received a phone call from a sales representitive who wanted to offer me a 'loyalty upgrade' for no additional cost. I was told that at NO ADDITIONAL COST (repeated multiple times during the call) I would receive:

- M500 fibre
- A sim
- Upgrade on the landline.

Now, the latter of those two I am not bothered about as I don't need a sim and I don't use my landline. But I was told that I would need these in order to get the benefit of the upgrade from M350 to M500.
At the close of the call, it was again reiterated that I would have NO additional cost.

Imagine my surprise when I get an email with an amended contract stating that my new monthly cost is £127, up from £84. To add to this, the fibre hadn't been changed either. So it was an increase in price, and two options which I stated that I will not use. 

Almost two and a half hours on the phone across six calls later, no-one has been able to assist. I got close yesterday evening when someone could see that this was clearly not correct and that they were working with their manager to reverse it. They were going to conclude it off the phone and get back to me when it had been done. But I have received no such call.

It is clearly unacceptable that I was lied to in the first instance, but it is even worse that no-one is able to assist in getting this reversed. The social media team don't respond, no-one on the phone wants to take accountability for it. On the original call yesterday which started this, I was asked how I had found my experience with Virgin Media so far. I responded that it was perfectly fine and had no issues. Well, now we have one, it's pretty big, and not a single person is able to help me so far. The best I have been offered is a complaint to be raised and to get a callback in 5-7 working days, which clearly isn't acceptable when you're talking about being fraudulently entered into a contract, on a recorded phone call, with no routes to resolve the issue.

I would welcome a response from someone at Virgin Media who is able to help me, otherwise I have no choice but to cancel the direct debit until my contract can be reversed to what I was on previously. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulently amended contract - no way to resolve

Under no circumstances cancel the direct debit!  VM are a huge, bungling, uncaring bureaucracy, and they will treat a refused DD as failure to pay.  Your credit file will get a black mark, and there's a risk they'll pass the unpaid bill to a debt collection agency.  This costs them next to nothing, but creates huge hassle for you.

If the forum staff can intervene to sort this out, that would be your easiest and quickest resolution.  If they don't pick it up, or can't resolve to your complete satisfaction, you need to accept that this is going to take weeks even months to resolve, although chances are overwhelmingly in favour of you getting the deal promised.  Search Virgin Media complaints code of practice, then initiate a written postal complaint detailing the issue, and the outcome you want.  VM are pretty poor at successfully resolving complaints, but sometimes that works, but if they mess about, or offer a half baked compromise that you don't want, then (after formally complaining to VM and giving them eight weeks to resolve it) you can escalate to the industry arbitration scheme, CISAS (details in the code of practice).  CISAS will investigate and resolve it, and its worth knowing that for the vast majority of complaints to CISAS, VM either concede immediately, or are found at fault by the arbitrator. 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Good shout, cheers for that. 

This is going to be fought all the way through, absolutely disgusting practices by the Virgin Media sales team!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Also worth having a look at The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/contents/made

Guidance from Which? https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations also provides the following information:

Cancelling services

Your right to cancel  You have 14 days from entering into a service contract in which you can cancel it.

The trader shouldn’t start providing the service before the 14 day cancellation period has ended, unless you have requested this.

If you request a service starts straightaway  In this instance you will still have the right to cancel, but you must pay for the value of the service that is provided up to the point you cancel.

Also see https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-cancel-an-online-order

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Perfect, thanks for the info!

VM just tried to ring me, but the call was instantly disconnected... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As far as i'm aware, you can only get the 500 mbps if you choose the ultimate oomph package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Makes the lie from the sales rep even worse then...

Would really appreciate some input from a VM employee, I'm getting zero response by phone, social media and this forum at this point; somewhat feel like I'm being actively ignored?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

somewhat feel like I'm being actively ignored?!

Well, with the fact their call centres are operating at a fraction of capacity, and that capacity was inadequate before Chinavirus, I'm not surprised, and you've got to have sympathy for their staff. 

Be assured being ignored by VM is nothing personal, VM hate all of their customers.  That's why I was suggesting you write the blighters.  It won't be quicker, but if there's any doubt about the matter, then if you've got proof you wrote to them, they won't have a leg to stand on if this eventually winds on until you need to get arbitration!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I get the call centres being understaffed, entirely understandable, I work with call centres and know the impacts of the situation. But when there are tweets being responded to sent in the last hour whilst your ones from almost 24 hours ago, and subsequent chasers, haven't been responded to; it doesn't seem great.

But I've been following your advice and haven't already started preparing a dossier of evidence ready to submit for arbitration. I've seen another user post that they had a similar experience, so seems like the sales team is up to some BS!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

HI stephenj159, thanks for contacting us regarding the package. We are sorry to hear that this is incorrect and would like to see that this is resolved for you. We would ask that you sent a text message to our team on 07533 051 809. They will pick up the message and aim to assist. - Chris 

0 Kudos