Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Fraudulent Account in My Name & money taken

Good evening,

I am hoping someone can help me. Recently, a transaction for £160 was taken from my bank account by Virgin Media. I have since discovered that a fraudulent account has been opened in my name for the Virgin TV service. Not only was the £160 taken from my account, the account in question is one I use exclusively for direct debits. The money Virgin Media took prevented another direct debit being taken and has incurred a £30 default fee, hurting both my wallet and also my credit score more worryingly.

Now, given the direct debit with Virgin Media has been set up using an address I have not lived at for 5 years, I am unsure as to what security measures are taken when setting an account up, normally the information should be linked by the address being the valid billing address associated with the bank account. In this case, that doesn't seem to have blocked it being done.

The worst part of all of this, is that I reported this last Tuesday, given a reference number of 47062_13420 and told I would be contacted without fail within 48 hours by the fraud team with a resolution. Instead, I was never contacted and since then (8 days ago) I have had to call 4 times, totaling almost 3 hours in call time to follow up. Each time, the person on the end of the phone has struggled to comprehend what I am telling them, struggled to understand my English properly and treated me like I am making this up and that I have to open a new case from scratch. In addition to these 4 calls, I placed another call which after 5 minutes I was cut off and another call following that involved a member of the team thinking they had hung up on me, but actually continued to swear in Hindi about me.

I finally was put through to a manager, who simply said I could not be spoke to about this case and that I would be contacted within 7, or 15 or maybe 60 days. I asked where he was pulling these timelines from and he said they were approximates. I asked if they had my contact details following the calls, he said he could not confirm or deny either way, but assured me it was being dealt with in the most urgent of ways - would you feel confident in those words after my experience?

I am sorry for such a long post, but I have honestly never experienced anything quite like the shocking level of customer service I have witnessed. I have read online literally hundreds of unhappy customers and numerous cases of fraudulent accounts, I never thought I would be finding myself agree with them. How on earth can a company the size of Virgin operate to such poor standards? I am surprised given the amount of complaints that they do not find themselves in court for fraud themselves!

Please, if anyone is able to shed some light or share best practice with regards to how to get this resolved I would be most grateful. I am genuinely not a difficult person, and have worked in the hospitality industry for over a decade so understand the value of giving companies the benefit of the doubt but I really feel like I am running out of options here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulent Account in My Name & money taken

Hi there @callum_duncan

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I was very sorry to understand of your fraud claim. 

Due to the nature of the enquiry, this is not something that we can assist directly with here but I can of course offer some help and assistance for you. 

When we flag an account to the fraud team, they will investigate the claim, However due to data protection it is not always possible to speak with you directly about the case but rest assured they will be fully investigated and the relevant teams will be contacted and the account updated. 

As money has been taken from your own Bank account, please contact your bank to cancel the Direct Debit and request an indemnity claim to get the money back. 

Also, as money has been taken, we do advise that you report this directly to Action Fraud

You can also email creditfileamendments@virginmedia.co.uk who will be able to check and remove any erroneous information on your credit file. You will need to include as much information as possible in your email. You may also be requested to provide Proof of Residency to show you have not lived at the property in which the account has been opened. 

Hope that helps and once again, I am sorry that we cannot assist further at this stage. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos