Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fraud

My Virgin email account has apparently been hacked with the would-be blackmailer demanding money to avoid broadcasting my alleged secrets. He/she emailed me from my email address with my passcode. I have attempted to contact Virgin, but, as usual, gave up after three attempts listening to more than 20 minutes of music. What is wrong with this company? Have they given up on customer service? As for the fraudster - if you are reading this, go ahead pal! If you can send any juicy information about me that I don't already know, then you will brighten up my life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Fraud

Firstly, check your email address on this website: https://haveibeenpwned.com/ It will let you know if you're data has been breached.

Secondly, change your passwords, I would advise using a secure password manager.

Thirdly, the apparent hacker is most likely phishing and hoping someone takes the bait. I get these emails constantly. Nothing so far.

I cannot stress how important it is to use unique passwords for every service you use. If you use the same password you leave yourself entirely vulnerable.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraud

Thanks a lot! Your website confirmed I have been breached twice once by a heritage site and the second by a Dutch fraudster who apparently got hold of 7million email accounts and passwords. Have taken your advice and changed passwords but doesn't look like he/she will have much luck. Really fed up with Virgin though, been with them for well over 20 years, get charged the earth and can never get hold of customer services.
Thanks once again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Fraud

An account has been set up in my name at a different address.

I only  found out by signing up to check my credit score. I soon notice numerous missed payments that ain't doing my credit score any favours.

Any ideas who to speak to ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Fraud

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forum and a very warm welcome to you

Sorry to see that you've had an account opened fraudulently. 

I'm going to drop you a private message so we investigate this further for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos