Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fire Damage

Is it right that I have to pay £100 for a replacement router that was destroyed in a gas explosion at my property. The router and everything else in the living room was destroyed either by fire or water from fire hoses.

Any help appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fire Damage

Doesn't you household insurance cover it?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi as the other poster has said your household insurance will cover it, and as it's virgins equipment you are obligated to pay for it if it can't be returned intact.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pete, this is not the experience we ant you to have with us. We will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further for you. 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

surely not. a householder can insure equipment that they have bought, but it should be up to virgin to buy suitable insurance cover fro their kit?

if the OP phoned in and said my hub has stopped working ( glossing over the whole house explosion/ fire brigade bit) an engineer would eventually turn up and swap it out for free - so what makes this case different ?

for all we know - it was a spark from a faulty hub that caused the boom 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@cybmole wrote:

surely not. a householder can insure equipment that they have bought, but it should be up to virgin to buy suitable insurance cover fro their kit?

if the OP phoned in and said my hub has stopped working ( glossing over the whole house explosion/ fire brigade bit) an engineer would eventually turn up and swap it out for free - so what makes this case different ?

for all we know - it was a spark from a faulty hub that caused the boom 🙂

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#using...

H2. You are responsible for making sure that our equipment is safe and used properly at all times.  To do this, you agree to do the following:

1. follow the manufacturer's instructions and any other reasonable instructions we have given you;
  2. keep the equipment in your home and under your control (for example, you may not sell it, lend it or hire it out to anyone else, put it up as security for a loan or mortgage, or allow it to be seized under any legal process against you);
  3. insure any of the equipment against any loss, theft or damage for the full replacement value;
  4. not tamper with disassemble, misuse, neglect or damage the equipment;
  5. not remove, tamper with or cross out any words or labels on the equipment; and
  6. take proper care at all times to try and prevent the loss or theft of equipment.

H3. You agree to tell us as soon as you can about any loss or damage to any part of our equipment.  You should do this by contacting our customer services team.  You agree that you are responsible for any loss of or damage to the equipment, regardless of how it happens, unless it is our fault.  We will charge you for any loss of or damage to the equipment that you are responsible for, and that charge will not be more than the charges set out in the price guide for the relevant equipment.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ok - so its clearly stated ( probably in the bit that no one reads ). 

so if some enterprising yob puts a brick through a patio door and then makes off with a V6, a hub, and whatever else is portable, the householder has to cover the replacement cost. For a V6 and the latest hub that's a few £100s ? [ update, actually no, according to the price guide link in that previous post you only pay up to £50 for a non returned hub, £100 for a V6? ]

I wonder what % of VM customers are actually aware of that, and what % of yobs know not to steal them as they will not activate if sold on ?

( according to the neighborhood watch updates we get on slips of paper, bricks through ground floor patio doors is becoming a popular pastime .

"Alexa: pretend you are a guard dog " )

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pete, we are glad to hear that this is now resolved - Chris 

0 Kudos