Menu
chunn
Tuning in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Fibre Rollout - Missed part of my street - Rutland Avenue, Lancaster

Hello Virgin Media,

The installers have missed a part of the street I live on - Rutland Avenue in Lancaster.

The street is in three sections (with junctions in between):

The first section of the street has postcode LA1 4EZ 

The middle section of the street has postcode LA1 4EX

The third section of the street has postcode LA1 4EA

The first and third sections of the street have had roadworks carried out (trenches dug and fibre cable laid) and show as available for service on the postcode checker.

The middle section of the street has had no roadworks carried out and fibre broadband is not available using the postcode checker.

The installation of the other two sections of the road were completed around 8 weeks ago and the workmen are long gone. There is no scheduled remediation work for Rutland Avenue on the local roadworks bulletin:

http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk/roadworks/bulletin.aspx?district=Lancaster

Would you be able to look into this on behalf of all the residents in postcode LA1 4EX? We are all keen to pay for the service!

Many thanks,

Charles

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fibre Rollout - Missed part of my street - Rutland Avenue, Lancaster

The good news is you may not need the roadworks in the middle section of your road. Virgin Media bought out Lancaster’s former cable operator, Smallworld, a few years ago. The roadworks you are seeing is infill of the roads they did not complete. At either end of your street you will see a green box. This is the Smallworld infrastructure Virgin is building onto. So don’t worry, there is a good chance the ducting is already there & no roadworks are needed. Whether Smallworld actually made the area live is another question, as your part of the build may have been abandoned due to cash running out.

Either way it looks like good news.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

chunn
Tuning in
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi nodrogd,

Thanks for your insights.

I don't think Smallworld were here before. We've lived here for 29 years and I don't remember any cable having been laid. There are also no green boxes anywhere on the street - only new grey boxes installed by Virgin Media a few months ago.

@Virgin Media - house numbers 27 and 57 which are on the start and end sections of Rutland Avenue can get Virgin Media services right now...

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The original build would have been around 1990 onward. The type of build used involved street end cabinets feeding line extenders in the ducts. This cut down on the amount of street furniture. The build can clearly be seen on Google Streetview last taken (2017).

Below image the street cabinets I have found are marked with arrows, I have managed to follow the feed going out to the North along Bowerham Road:

Rutland Ave 1.jpg

The cabinet on Rutland Ave at the junction with Durham Ave (they look similar to BT ones, but are actually standard drop door cable HFC cabs for the period):

Rutland Ave Durham Ave.jpg

& at the junction with Warwick Ave:

Rutland Ave Warwick Ave.jpg

If anything your road looks like it was planned as the trunk feed for the rest of the estate. Would be interesting to know if they are still there.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

chunn
Tuning in
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi nodrogd,

Thanks very much for looking further into it. We moved here in September 1990 so they must have laid the cable just before we arrived! It's fascinating to think that the infrastructure has been laying there the whole time.

I did take a look today and the two green cabinets are still there - even after Virgin have added some new ones.

@Virgin Media, when can we expect to be offered service? The two sections of our street either side of us already have access.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi chunn, 

You are correct and only part of the street is cabled. For the ones which have not it refers to register at cable my street here:  virg.in/checker. ^Chris 

0 Kudos
chunn
Tuning in
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your message.

Yes I did register already - several times now. 

When I've spoken to the engineers working on the actual roll-out they've said that it should be covering all streets in South Lancaster. When you look at the roadworks being done literally every street around here has been worked on - except for the section of Rutland Avenue at LA1 4EX.

Could it be that the previous cabling as mentioned by nodrogd has led the planners/installers to believe that this section is already complete when in fact it is not?

Thanks again,

Charles

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi chunn

Are we working in the area at the moment? 

kind regards 

Chris. 

0 Kudos
chunn
Tuning in
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

The roll-out for most of the city has been ongoing for the last 4 months and looks to be nearly complete. The works on our street and adjacent streets ended about 8 weeks ago. 

From the local roadworks bulletin it looks like the engineers are still finishing off some streets in the city:

http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk/roadworks/bulletin.aspx?district=Lancaster

Note there is nothing scheduled for Rutland Avenue!

Thanks again,

Charles

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi chunn, Once all works are complete, we would then look at adding to the network ^Chris. 

0 Kudos