Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Fallen for a scam

My elderly parents have fallen for a scam email (yes! I had warned them but they went into panic mode - and sadly this isnt the first time they have done this. Dad even sent me a pic of the email to ask if it was a fraud but I was on another call and he didn't wait to hear from me!!!!!!!!) and provided their account details (email and password) via an email

We now cant log in to their account using any of their details to change the details - and because of COVID we dont seem to be able to get hold of anyone via helpline.

Any suggestions?????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Fallen for a scam

Hi there, 

I'm sorry to hear that your parents have been targeted, especially given the situation at present. 

I agree that you need clarification and a resolution of this straight away, can I suggest contacting the team using the webchat feature? 

If you click this link: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/contactus/make-a-complaint you will have the option to send a message. 

I do have to advise that there may be a wait at present due to Covid-19 there is a staff shortage handling queries. 

I hope this helps! 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for replying

We have started a chat so hopefully someone will come back to us

What is strange is the fact that they cant even get a password reminder using their bill details - but does that sound like its in line with what the scammers do?

Forget Corona risks - Im going to kill my parents at this rate!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Scammers would usually be trying to gather information such as payment details, address etc. unfortunately they also do try and target elderly people as they see them as an easier target! 

Ethics aside I couldn't say for sure if this was usual behavior! 

I would advise if they haven't already to contact their bank and make sure that they are aware there has been a potential breech of their security. 

In future I'd tell them to be a little more patient before they respond to anything they're not sure of just in case! 

Hope this helps!  

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do make sure to follow all the advice here Compromised Email Account advice once control of the account has been restored,

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. Unfortunately we cant log into his account at all now (even when using the last bill details for a password reset)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lizziesdj,

Thanks for posting. 

I'm really sorry to hear of what's happened. I'll PM you now so I can get this looked in to. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos