Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

External Cable - Direct lay?!

House next to me is looking to have a fence installed between our front drives and checked if there was anything the contractor should be careful of when digging, I advised there is a Virgin Media duct just inside my boundary but i will expose it to prevent damage. 

Following the duct from the footpath, looks like VM have only put duct on the visible cable above ground, then directly laid the cable into the ground with no protection, same from where it comes back out the ground to the external box, just a short length of duct.

Is this a standard procedure for Virgin Media, to direct lay their cables with no ducts very shallow?

Ideally once the fence is installed, I would like to run the duct along the fence with the cable in to prevent it being damaged in the future.

Would I be able to remove the cable and put it through the ducting myself? The area the cable is buried is also where I park, so now concerned that i may damage the cable.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: External Cable - Direct lay?!

Hi HyperChunk,

Welcome to the community forums - many apologies for our delayed response.

All external cabling should be burried if and where possible to a considerable depth, so I am really sorry if this is not the case. Sadly you wouldn't be able to duct the cabling yourself, so for this we can arrange for a team to come out to review the cabling.

I'm going to pop you over a pm so I can look a further look into this for you. Please find my message over at the purple envelope and we can go from there.

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM, & before them NTL took over numerous other cable companies, some of which never used any shielding on their drop lines & only buried them a few inches deep.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Morning, 

Short answer is that their cable should have been ducted. May be the team which installed it didn't want to dig deep enough to bury a duct or they may have simply run out of duct when carrying out the job - Guess we will never know!

Beth has been very helpful with getting this addressed. VM will be attending to duct and lay the cable at the correct depth to resolve the issue.

Thanks Beth!

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hiya 🙂

I'm really pleased that Beth has been able to arrange a visit to rectify this issue for you. Please do let us know how this goes and don't hesitate to reach out on our forums with any future queries or concerns.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos