cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Customer vs New Customer Charges - New Contract?

ceepeebee
On our wavelength

Hi all,

I've been an NTLWorld/VirginMedia customer for over 20 years. I currently only take M200 broadband (no phone no TV, etc) and I've seen my bill elevate over the years to currently £53.75 per month.

With the way things are right now, we're looking at reducing costs. I can see that if I was a new customer to Virgin, I could be paying just £28 p/m (or £34 p/m after the initial period) for the same service.

I would be willing to enter into a longer than 30-day contract to get back down to this price, but it seems not to work like that.

I've stayed on the phone lines for a while and gotten through to people who say this is "new customers" only and my only option is to "leave and return after a while" (that was legitimately what I was told.

Anybody else had any similar thoughts and found a way to achieve the lower price?

11 REPLIES 11

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI ceepeebee,

Without sounding rude , This is the way it has always been 

All existing customers will have benefited from an introductory offer when they joined us 

You can contact us by phone and choose the "thinking of leaving" option where you will be able to speak to our retentions team.

Sadly as a forum Team we are not able to deal with package changes 

Gareth_L

I understand the introductory offer. What I'm saying now is that after your introductory offer, customers (after 18 months) will be paying £20 less than I am now for the same service!

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m sorry @ceepeebee but you are basing your negotiation on the wrong information.

At the end of the minimum period for a new customer, the price of M200 is £50.

This is still less than you are paying so you should be able to get a price below your recurring charge in return for a commitment to a new 18 month minimum period.

Here is my evidence:

FC5FB9BA-BA7C-478A-AB89-ADFE0C2AEE23.jpeg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ceepeebee
On our wavelength

Correct, sorry yes I meant after the first 12 months. But you're correct, that it runs into £50 after the initial contract term (which is still less than I'm paying now).

I managed to speak to somebody on WhatsApp and got a reduction in exchange for a new contract - not close to the new customer offer though.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin still operates on the principle of "loss leader" introductory pricing to onboard new customers, hence offering existing customers the same deal is not sustainable. You have to leave & rejoin to get them.

Some companies do now offer new customer deals to all their customers, but new customer prices have increased as a result. You are in a no win situation whichever way you look at it..

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VM is a Pay TV provider which doesn't do good deals for broadband-only customers, so I recommend looking around for alternative ISPs.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I'd love to, but almost all others are FTTC meaning I need a phone line (which I don't have with my cable)

Almost all properties can have a phone line (new ones are digital) provided by Openreach, and it's this line which is used to deliver broadband.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Yes, thanks for that - I get it. I do not have a phone line though.