cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Contract billing problems

stickymike
Tuning in

My TV, Broadband & Mobile contract was due to end mid October, and as is usual, I contacted VM for a review with the hope that a new contract could be negotiated.

I had a conversation with somebody in Retentions who proposed a revised package which at first seemed comparable to my original package (Volt2 1Gig) - after being assured that I would lose nothing by switching to the new package, and that I would not be required to continue with the O2 SIM contract, I verbally accepted the package and left it at that.

The contract details that was emailed to me the next day showed 40 fewer TV channels, no Netflix, no BT Sports (now TNT) & it also required me to remain on the O2 contract. I called to complain and was told that the issue could be resolved, but I would need to wait 48 hours for approval.

I waited a full week before calling again and cancelling the revised package as I was still within the 14 days cooling off period. My assumption was that I would be reverted back to my original contract which still had almost a month left.

Since then, I've had three "Thanks for making those changes" emails, confirming that I was on various new contracts until 2025, with monthly charges ranging from £29.00, £124.01 and finally £114.90. My previous contract was £60 a month.

Subsequent calls to sort this out have proved fruitless, the most optimistic response I was given was that the bills would "sort themselves out eventually". As it stands at the moment, I've been informed that due to the changes on my contract, my bill for October will be £124.83.

If somebody in the Billing Dept. could explain to me why my final bill is more than double my previous bills, and why I am not paying my usual amount for my original contract which is still in operation, that would be appreciated.

My VM & O2 accounts will be deactivated this month, as per my original contract which I have not renewed.

Thanks,

StickyMike, Bournemouth 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've moved your post from the "chatter" forum not frequented by staff, into the account section where you have a chance of it being picked up. There's just a couple of glaring things for me..

@stickymike wrote:

The contract details that was emailed to me the next day showed 40 fewer TV channels,

What TV tier were you on, and what did this new contract state? VM have 2 TV tiers - the basic Mixit (broadly Freeview equivalent) and top-tier Maxit (including BT/TNT Sports) which is now legacy and replaced with Mega (doesn't include BT/TNT)

Further, "the issue could be resolved, but you would need to wait for approval" could roughly be translated as "the agent I spoke to didn't want to deal with this so left it for someone else to do so".

@stickymike wrote:

My VM & O2 accounts will be deactivated this month, as per my original contract which I have not renewed.

Unless, as seems unlikely from your description, you have explicitly given 30days disconnection notice, nothing will be deactivated. You don't have a fixed-term contract that will come to an end on a given date, you have a rolling contract with a minimum term. All that will happen on the given date is that your time-limited discounts will expire and service will continue at full price.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've moved your post from the "chatter" forum not frequented by staff, into the account section where you have a chance of it being picked up. There's just a couple of glaring things for me..

@stickymike wrote:

The contract details that was emailed to me the next day showed 40 fewer TV channels,

What TV tier were you on, and what did this new contract state? VM have 2 TV tiers - the basic Mixit (broadly Freeview equivalent) and top-tier Maxit (including BT/TNT Sports) which is now legacy and replaced with Mega (doesn't include BT/TNT)

Further, "the issue could be resolved, but you would need to wait for approval" could roughly be translated as "the agent I spoke to didn't want to deal with this so left it for someone else to do so".

@stickymike wrote:

Unless, as seems unlikely from your description, you have explicitly given 30days disconnection notice, nothing will be deactivated. You don't have a fixed-term contract that will come to an end on a given date, you have a rolling contract with a minimum term. All that will happen on the given date is that your time-limited discounts will expire and service will continue at full price.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

stickymike
Tuning in

Hi Japitts,

Thanks for the response (and moving it to where somebody on the VM Team could see it) - I was on the full-fat "Ultimate Volt Gig 1 bundle - 230+ channels with Entertainment, Anytime calls, Netflix Standard & O2 Sim"....the email contract confirming the revised package did show Maxit TV, but made no mention of TNT Sports or Netflix, hence my call to check - which is when I was told that TNT would cost extra, and that Netflix was also missing.

I agree with you on the "didn't want to deal with this" comment - sadly that seems to be the norm rather than the exception when dealing with VM call centres.

It's all academic though, and I'm sorry I didn't make it clear in my post - VM & O2 have been given the full 30 days notice of my cancellation - so as I said, I'm mystified as to why I've got a supersized bill based on "changes to my package".

I've followed VM's requirements to the letter & the mess they've managed to make of this is not acceptable.

Regards,

StickyMike

Hi there @stickymike 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue with your package and thank you to japitts for their help and advise here so far. 

I'm so sorry again that the team have been unable to resolve this previously for you and I can fully understand your frustration, I'd be happy to look into this with you via a private message. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@stickymike wrote:

I was on the full-fat "Ultimate Volt Gig 1 bundle - 230+ channels with Entertainment

Ultimate Volt had Maxit as the TV-tier. So you've moved from Maxit to Mega - these are the same tiers bar the loss of BT/TNT Sports.

Thanks Japitts

Thanks for confirming, but just to reiterate, the information I was given by the CS agent was that I would lose NO channels, and I did not need to continue with the O2 SIM contract. NONE of that information was borne out by the paperwork emailed to me, and neither was it confirmed by the second CS agent I spoke to afterwards.

I was told that if I chose to confirm the revised package,  I would have to continue with the O2 contract, and I would lose TNT and Netflix. So based on that information, I chose to cancel the revised package & VM should have simply reinstated my original contract.

Regards

If you would like this to be investigated further stickymike. You can respond to my colleagues Private message. 

^Martin