cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elderly parent

NatashaG
Tuning in

Hi

I've just got back from visiting my elderly father and his girlfriend. While I was there I tried to help them with their technology, but came up against a problem. Well 2 problems really.

The first problem:
They have virgin media broadband which keeps dropping WiFi. I rang 150, and they did something which made it work, but it's happened before so I suspect the router may be faulty, and possibly needs replacing, so I thought I'd ring and get an engineer out to check, but then the real problems started. 

Problem No 2

They don't seem to have any bills (online or paper), so no emails from Virgin media. All I can find is a service agreement from 2019 signing them up to broadband and TV at £70 a month. They don't have a Tivo box (and don't think they ever have had) Their TV  is currently Freeview from a satellite dish on their roof. I'd set up Netflix etc on their smart TV on a previous visit, which had stopped working. They'd assumed a TV problem, but it's actually a WiFi intermittently dropping out problem. My dad's partner is in a wheelchair, and loves watching netflix/iplayer etc, but now has to manoeuvre herself and wheelchair to the wired in computer to watch (wifi not working)

They are very confused when it comes to technology, and don't seem to know if they have an online account. We spent 2 hours text chatting with someone at Virgin, who just kept telling us to re-set the router, when what we were asking was for details of their account as paying £70 a month and never seeing a bill, or to be able to access their account details seems crazy. 

They only use 2 email accounts, and the virgin person promised an email detailing their account but it hasn't arrived. 

The account holder has had a stroke, so dealing with this is beyond them, but all the room shuffling to watch Netflix is putting her at physical risk. Also very out of pocket as she's paying for services she hasn't got

Just to add- We tried to log in using the 'forgotten password' but it said there was no account with that email address.
We tried to log in using 'forgotten email address' using customer number etc, and just got an error code

Please help!

39 REPLIES 39

They are paying far too much, have an ancient router and no one has contacted them

Hi NatashaG thanks for posting and welcome back to our community. 

I am sorry you remain unhappy with your father's package.  I am going to send you a quick private message.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi NatashaG

Just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

@NatashaG wrote:

They are paying far too much, have an ancient router and no one has contacted them

If you do manage to negotiate a better price, make sure you save a copy of the contract.

There are many cases where people sign up to a contract for say £29, but virgin actually charge £80 per month. It happened to myself last time I renewed my contract, I would hate it to happen to an elderly person who doesn't even notice! There are potentially people out there who are overpaying against their contracted amount and aren't even aware. So do check your parent's bank statements to ensure the correct amount is being taken.

It’s such a frustrating situation. My dad and partner aren’t even sure how they signed up in the first place. I doubt it would’ve been online, or over the phone (one of them has had a stroke so phone conversations are tricky) the only evidence we even have of a virgin account is a rubbish failing old router, and one sheet of paper that says they were signed up for a tv, SIM card and massive download speed. They don’t have a virgin tv service, don’t use mobile phones, and their internet use is basic. The account holder (it’s only in one of their names and they’re not married/have separate finances) doesn’t even have an email address. Virgin won’t let me deal with it without express verbal permission from the account holder while I’m present which I can’t get as the account holder (who isn’t my parent) gets really distressed by the whole thing and I’m too far away to ruin the few visits I get in this way. 
I’ve  cried over this situation a few times. It almost feels as bad as them being targeted by conmen, but it’s legal. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have you looked into some kind of power of attorney to manage your father's affairs or a limited one to deal with both their bills etc. and act on their behalf?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/looking-after-people/managing-affairs-for-someone-else

Not something I have had to set up myself but I am aware of family members who have it in place for situations where the person concerned is not able to deal with some day-to-day aspects of life such as dealing with utilities companies etc. CAB may be able to give you further info about how it might work for your situation.

I’m in the process with my father, but it wouldn’t help in this instance as he’s not the account holder, his partner is- and neither me nor his partner want me to have power of attorney over her. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is your father's partner opposed to anyone at all taking on that role for her (such as one of her own immediate family etc.)? Sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to resolve this without the necessary permissions or consent to do so.

Not sure from reading message #33 if this is now resolved for you by VM and you now have all the necessary details. If you are still missing the necessary account number, I note that the VM payment reference on my bank statement is actually a modified version of my VM account no. My bank statement ref shows that the first 9 digits are my VM account no. followed by 001 added on the end.

This recent post from one of the forum VIPs also mentions how the VM account numbers are structured

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Account-not-in-my-name/m-p/4834730#...

If you are still missing the account no. information then you might be able to work it out using the above.

Hi,

VM sent a letter which allowed us to get into their online account. (2 letters actually, but the first was binned due to the fact that they now worry that anything that comes is some sort of scam) Its very difficult, as the account holder is not able to deal with phone calls or electronic communication, and I am not there often enough to deal with it from their landline, and when I am there they don't want me on the phone to virgin for the whole visit. 

Now the torturous process of seeing if their £70 monthly bill can be reduced in any way. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @NatashaG,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm glad to hear that you received your letter! I can see that you've contacted our colleague via Private Message to look into this further with you. They will respond to you as soon as they can and help to assist.

Please keep us updated and let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime. 

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs