Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ebay

Since yesterday 7th November I've now had to turn "child safe" completely off to enable ebay UK to work. This cannot be right !! Somebody please explain or Virgin, please fix it. Downdetector is full of people experiencing problems with ebay 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ebay

The same is happening for me - if I use mobile data on my phone or on my PC I get the text version with some images for Chrome, Edge, IE and Firefox.

Looks to be an issue with the filter for Web Safe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dommyp, shane_gregory

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues accessing Ebay.

Can you please sign into your online accounts and go to Websafe, can you check if child safe is active on the account, if so, you can either turn it off, or you can choose to block certain webpages, does Ebay show on the blocked list?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Fortunately Shane Gregory's solution of adding 'ebaystatic.com' to the allowed list seems to work. Adding ebay.co.uk or ebay.com does not. This is obviously good as millions of households cannot be expected to turn child safe off.

Virgin need to tell all of their users this as it's obviously a change they have made to their settings / software in the last 24 hours - without telling anybody - that has caused it.

There was no problem yesterday morning.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Although there are a number of posts from VM users on downdetector relating to these problems, it's also affecting other isp's

Talk Talk filtering also messing up eBay. Hotspotting to my phone as a work around at the moment......

Cant load ebay pages at all on my laptop, Im with post office internet. Mobile app working fine on same IP address, except cant access orders to buy postage....

The ebay web page is using some scripts that firewalls see as not safe...

GOOGLE security alert yesterday that Honey browser app was comprimised and ebay is the only site I use it for....

is it honey app? I got a security alarm that honey passwords were exposed via 3rd party or something

Loading eBay pages are corrupt, I'm using Microsoft Edge....

Since the interface changes mine has just been broken. Weird arrow symbols, no graphics broken CSS, pretty horrid mess. Chrome latest on Mac, PC and Ubuntu, Firefox same....

I'm experiencing weird symbols and unable to sign in. Words are all jumbled.......

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The issue caused me grief at the weekend. 

Having a BT broadband connection accessible proved it was Virginmedia that was making the problem appear.

Eventually added ir.ebaystatic.com as a site to be allowed through the child filter, and all seems good. This is buried in the style sheet that Ebay downloads to your browser (Chrome in my case), visible using F12 to see what is going on behind the scenes in the browser. 

Also seeing issues with access to rover and pulsar, in eBay.co.uk or intermittently in eBay.com domains - turns out that is an over-agressive filtering policy in place on my workplace LAN for some reason - probably these sites are included in a blacklist somewhere, but have not had the time or patience to check.

Virginmedia Twitter Support were being less than helpful, but did eventually report the issue of blacklisted IP ranges or domains to their internal team. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone explain what websafe is?

Is it something connected to Virgin media? I've spent ages trying to sort this eBay issue now.

Edit - logging into myvirgin on a pc helped. Turning off child safe and eBay works again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi BeeLondon,

This link explains about my-apps/onlinesecurity/toolkit 

It's also accessable by signing into My Virgin Media at the top of the page and clicking on My Apps in the navigation bar, and then on Web Safe

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi All, 

Sorry to those who are unable access Ebay at the moment. 

Please can you load up www.ebay.co.uk and at the bottom of the page you should see the option to opt out of Ebay collecting personal details, once you have selected this it should load the page up.

Please let me know if this doesn't resolve the problem. 

Regards,

Dean C 
Community Moderator

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This bit here?

pgn_0-1604944476141.png

Needed a microscope to read it....🤔