Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Early termination fee when being evicted

Hello ,

I received an eviction notice from the government and therefore am forced to move out of my flat. I have found a new place to move that unfortunately does not support Virgin Media network, therefore I am unable to move my services with me.

Considering I am being forced to move out and therefore haven’t got a choice but to terminate my contract early since there is no Virgin Media broadband in the building I am moving to, would I still be forced to pay the early cancellation fee?

many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Early termination fee when being evicted

Hi Cmpbs, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

We will send you a private message 

Kind regards 

Chris. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Chris_W1 wrote:

Hi Cmpbs, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

We will send you a private message 

Kind regards 

Chris. 

can the general question not be answered on open forum - its not account specific and adds to the available knowledge base

Tony
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cmpbs, sorry that you have received an eviction notice, what is the eviction for? As you are breaking the contract at the current property you would be liable for the early disconnection charge. Kind regards Chris.

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When I moved it was to an area that does not have VM and it is literally in the next street but not mine - so they let me off without any early termination fees at the CEO's office. But that's because it was their fault and not mine. In your case it's neither your fault or theirs. I do hope you get it sorted and soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does it matter Chris what the eviction is for? The fact the eviction is going ahead should be enough. Assuming the landlord or agent (the government don't evict people as they own no houses) has done it right - and the situation is not due to unpaid rent - the OP should have got a Section 21 notice which legally requires 2 months and 2 days notice (plus an additional 2 days for the notification to get there) so there should be plenty of time to hash it out with them. (I recently had a repossession case thrown out at great cost because it had only been 2 months and 3 days so was a day short - so I know that's correct) 

But really, the reason for eviction is not your concern, only the proof that it's happening is. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

'Does it matter what the eviction is for?'

i'd say yes. a few years ago on the sky forum, someone was evicted following a compulsory purchase. from what i remember the exit fee was waived.

although in most case exit fees apply regardless, there are exceptions to the rule. as you say though they would have to be a degree of 'proof' given.

ultimately a legally binding contract has been breached. full clarification of exact reason of the breach would determine which way it could go. although virgin's criteria could of course differ to that of sky's at that time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the reason doesn't matter, The contract has been broken. The minimum term is for services at the installed address. Its done this way as people do not want to pay install costs so they are recovered over the term of the contract

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos