Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Early termination - EXTREME DISTRESS

Hi! I have been going through all sorts of hassles and headaches for the past 8 months (!!!!) only to get my broadband contract terminated (and I'm still struggling). This is producing me great anxiety and distress. 

I asked for the early termination of my 1 year contract by phone on 14 February because I was moving out of the UK. I went to a high street shop to do this but was told that the only way to terminate my contract was on the phone (suspicious), paid all outstanding fees and early termination fees (of around 250£ !!!! - I believe that UK customers protection said over 180£ of early termination fees are not even legal) and was told that, in effect, my account was closed.

I asked for correspondence to be sent to my email as I was moving straight out of the country and would not receive paper mail. A few minutes after, I received a "We're sorry to see you go" confirmation email and on April 17 I received a "Your Virgin Media bill is ready" indicating that the amount was £0.

I assumed everything was fine until I received an email on September 16 saying "Your Virgin Media bill is overdue" and that a new bill of £107.14, plus a pending payment of £46.69 was owed. I called Virgin immediately, discussed my issue with the customer service office and then with a manager that said that this was a mistake, that they could see in the record that I had terminated my account and paid everything I had to pay back in February 2019, and to not worry about that last email as I owed nothing. They did not explain why I received this email but I then received an email saying "Disconnecting your Virgin Media services (KMM58433612V48435L0KM)", as I explicitly asked for a confirmation email, and assumed that this would be the end of it.

However, a month later, October 16, I received a new email with the title of "Your Virgin Media bill is overdue" that said that I owed £61.79, and with an attachment saying that I also owed £114.74. I called again and (after two calls and very bad customer service- which even left me in tears) I was told that they could see what the problem was (not explaining it to me however) and that they could see that I had effectively asked to close my account and paid for all I should have paid (last bill and early cancellation fees) when I called in February and that I should not worry about it anymore because I do not owe anything. From the call I got the sense that my cancellation request had not been processed back in February (by some mistake of sorts), and this mistake was not corrected in September, and just in October my termination was being processed.

Only after this conversation was I was finally able to access my Virgin Media account online (somehow I couldn't before), and noticed that the error was the following:

When I asked for my early termination back in February - and got the email saying "We are sorry to see you go" and sent the modem back to Virgin, etc.. the payment I made for early termination fees was not debited as early termination fees but instead taken by Virgin as credit for my contract- which had not been closed! That is why, when the nearly 300£ (I had paid for early termination fees) ran out as credit I started receiving messages saying that I had outstanding fees! So my contract had NOT BEEN TERMINATED in February when I asked and paid, and ONLY IN OCTOBER (THIRD TIME I CALLED), was my account closed!!!!!!!!!

Now, November, I received another email saying that I owe a further more than 50£ that I should pay immediately. So, I called AGAIN, and was told - agaaaain- not to worry about it, that they can see what the error was, as they can see that I asked and paid for my account to be closed on February 14 but it was in fact closed on October, and that I do not owe anything and those 50£ will be erased from my account in the next 48 hours....

... 48 hours have passed.... and THIS OUTSTANDING SUM STILL APPEARS!!!!!

At this point I just don't know what to do. I am sure that next month I will receive yet another bill and will just have to call and complain again, yet it leads nowhere! I paid all outstanding fees back in February (on another note, I believe that 250£ for early termination fees are not even legal!!!!). Not only will I not accept having outstanding fees when I diligently paid and closed my account 8 months ago, I also got to a point of serious distress in which EVERY SINGLE MONTH I have to call Virgin back and explain my situation to a terrible customer service team that keeps saying that I am right, but nobody actually clears out my account (even when everyone says they will - I have even recorded the phone calls to prove this). 

At this point I feel it does not make sense to keep calling and losing time and money (I have to call long distance from Thailand). I also fear for my personal data as, because my account was not closed when I asked, it is still in Virgin's system when I asked it to be erased by terminating my contract. This is my last desperate call for action!! I submitted a formal complaint to Virgin and got no response in the past 5 weeks. If this issue is not resolved soon I will submit it to the Communications & Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) for it to adjudicate and ask for compensation for all of the distress I have been through. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Early termination - EXTREME DISTRESS

.Hi vicmul123,

Thank you for reaching out to us and a very warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear that the contract wasn't cancelled correctly.

I would like to invite you into a private chat so I can look into this for you, I will send you an invite shortly, please click on the Purple envelope to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, Thank you for your reply! I was not able to reply through DM (somehow says that I can't send more PM after the second one).

I am grateful for your answer but still a bit concerned as it was the same reply I got on the phone when I called last week- saying that I have a zero balance - yet I keep seeing that I had outstanding fees on my online account. Will these be deleted?

I truly hope that next month I do not receive yet another "outstanding fee" email - as I got this same reply about three times now on the phone, but kept receiving the emails saying that I have outstanding fees, and can see this in my account online (I put x in the amount for security purposes):

"An outstanding amount of £5x.xx has been carried from your last bill.

£5x.xx

Payment due: NOW

We didn't receive a payment for your last bill.
Your outstanding balance is now due"

Thank you for your help

Victoria

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I just checked my online account to see if the pending balance still appears ( 5 days after I was told my account is clear) and I noticed that the supposedly pending bill still appears in my account. When will this be erased from my online account?

£5x.xx

Payment due: NOW

We didn't receive a payment for your last bill.
Your outstanding balance is now due

Owed from last bill£5x.xx

Your previous bill remains unpaid, a payment is required immediately to avoid restriction of service."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Paul_DN @ModTeam - nothing i can add other than push it back to VM - i am assuming the chat did not take place - might be difficult as the OP is in Thailand and time zones are very different

Tony
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony! I did have an exchange of private messages with Virgin after writing in this forum and I was assured that my account was cleared - and that this was done by Mary on November 14. So I don't understand why a pending balance still appears when I log into my online account and click on "View Bills". Do you think the system takes long to adjust? Or next month I might get another bill saying "£0" ... I just find this a bit weird, and because every time I had contact with Virgin I was told that everything was ok and not to worry about it, yet only after the 4th call in October was my account finally closed and only after my call in November was my "account cleared" - or that appears in the system (not on mine)... I still can't feel assured if I keep seeing this bill in my account..... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi vicmul123,

Thank you reaching out again. Just to bring some further clarity to the situation, we have had a further look intoyour account and we can confirm that there is no outstanding balance on your account. There may just be a delay on your online account.

Kind regards,

Louis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Louis,

I will check again next week then just to make sure that it no longer appears online.

Kind regards,

Victoria

0 Kudos