Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Early disconnection fee from 4 year old account

So this morning I wanted to switch my current broadband provider from BT to Virgin Media, after finding a deal I liked online.  I went through the online application with some help from livechat and after a frustrating 40 mins or so I decided to call the customer service number.  They  processed everything and informed me that my internal credit check would be 24-48hrs so I would get a call back.  Within about 15minutes of hanging up, I received a call from a customer service rep (identifying herself as Sabrina) who eventually confirmed the reason that my check did not go through was because I apparently had arrears on a previous Virgin Media account.  She then spent several minutes attempting to convince me to put the check through in another persons name, but with my own details, even though I live alone- she was not deterred by this.  I then said I was uncomfortable and she said she would 'sort my arrears out on my other account by contacting the relevant people and forwarding to her manager the info' once I'd signed up for the new account I wanted to open.  I did not want to open in someone elses name, and said I just wanted to sort this mess out with this other account.  

Now, after several phone calls to your customer service number, and after being hung up on a few times I finally got to explaining the situation to a collections rep (identifying herself as Michelle) .  This previous account I had, which was listed with arrears of around £178 due to some unpaid early cancellation fees.  This is an account I held around 4 years ago, and at the time I was told was resolved- I remember sharing phonecalls and conversations and even a letter to your complaints dept back then (with no acknowledgement of receipt), at which point I received a call and a rep had explained the charges would not be added and that my account was closed and fine (if I recall correctly because as it happened at the time there was a price increase and so I could opt out without paying a fee).  I moved away to a different address and have never received a call/text/email/forwarded letter since then, from around 4 years ago.  So as far as I was concerned this account was closed. 
This collections rep Michelle then stated, even though the account was that old it was apparently valid because Virgin had attempted to contact me only via phone over 3 days in 2018- 2 years after the initial issue, but no other communication as my email and mobile number haven't changed in that time, nor a voicemail left for me.  I asked to speak to her manager.  After a long wait she finally replied that her manager is apparently the same person that tried to contact me way back then, but that the manager had told her to say she would give me the same answer.  Regardless, I asked to speak to the manager.  After waiting almost ten minutes again she said the manager is now on another call and took my number and would call me back in 30 minutes.  Nearly 2 hours later, and unsurprisingly, no call.  That managers name was given to me by the rep, who said her manager was called Rowena.  After asking Michelle, from collections, to direct me to the complaints process or dept, she replied with 'there is no complaints dept, we are the only ones'.  This will all, I'm sure, be logged on your recorded calls - again the call ended around 340PM.

Now all this has arisen as a result of me trying to actually open another account with you, as I was told way back then that the other account was satisfied, and that I wouldn't be charged early termination fee because apparently there was a price increase at the time that allowed me to opt out, and so that's what I had done, and was subsequently told my account was satisfied.
The irony is that the account I want to open would bring you more money in than what I allegedly owed on fees, as well as the fact that I was informed by your staff that the account was satisified and closed.  I believe several misgivings have occurred here, which I believe breach both your own code of conduct as well as any acceptable standard of customer interaction that is expected.  I was told nearly 4 years ago the account was fine and closed, no contact over that whole time period, and only has it come up when I have tried to open another account, to give you more custom!  Secondly, your customer service managers refusing to answer calls and for all intents and purposes being conveniently busy, and not calling back within a timely manner.  Finally, your customer service reps that are that desperate for custom that they try and push through customer details using someone elses name, just so (I assume) they get their commission bonuses.
Now I have spent over 4 hours of my day either on the phone, or writing this email to try and get someone to listen and help me resolve this issue, which I didn't even know was an issue, as it should've been resolved 4 years ago, when I was informed it was.  I have spent several hours on the phone, the first time I passed a security check, the second time I apparently didn't and they can only send me a letter to my original address (which I haven't lived at for 4 yrs and have no access to the locked mailbox).  SO after hours of phonecalls, then being directed to your social media team, who then directed me to the mobile phone text chat, who then directed me back to social media team, who have now told me to post this on here, so one of your staff can finally resolve this!

All I want is for my old account, that was allegedly resolved 4 years ago, to be cleared and closed, and then I can reopen another account so I can enjoy your products and services, is this such a big ask?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Early disconnection fee from 4 year old account

Hi

Im happy to look into your old account to see what has occurred. 

I will PM you to get some more detail. 

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos