Menu
nishant1630
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Early Termination of Broadband

Hi All,

Due to some reason I have to move out from current property and moving into new area. I have 18M contract with VM (13 months pending) but I found NO VM service in new property. I want to continue with VM services in new property but VM is unable to provide. 

After talking to VM Customer Care, I could understand no matter whether it is customer fault or VM's fault, it is customer who has to pay a Penalty (ETF). It is almost 6 months connection charges for me. I don't know if VM has such policies or other service providers as well. I believe generally a month or 2 months charges can be sufficient enough to pay as ETF not 6 months charges. I don't think from any point of view it is customer friendly policy at all.

If anyone has any suggestion to handle this in a graceful manner please let me know as I am very disappointed & frustrated and unfortunately up to some extend feeling fooled. 😞

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Early Termination of Broadband

Whilst I sympathise with your predicament and obviously don't know your specific circumstances, the legal angle to this is that...

You have re-signed with VM 5-months ago, for at least 18months worth of services at your property and are effectively asking to breaking that contract. They're capped at £240, and from the sounds of your post, if these amount to 6months of service, then you're being released from the remaining 7months penalty-free.

There are some details of VM's charges, if you're not already aware, at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early... 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

They just charge your remaining months or £240 whichever is less.

Other providers work it differently and deduct their saved expenses and extras you can turn off x the number of months left on your contract.

So if you leave later in your contract VM would be more expensive but if you leave earlier in your contract then £240 isn't actually bad.

You will have to pay it or face defaults on credit file etc.  Make sure you send equipment back too.

It should be looked at industry wide for movers. Esp. if the new occupants are likely to take on new service and if you recontracted at some point.

if you've been a customer for 10 years but recontracted for a minor discount then the Internet providers aren't actually heavily invested in it and the new occupants may well take up service with them when they see the infrastructure already there.  If you got the provider to install just a few months before then they deserve to collect the EDF from the customer.  Just my humble opinion.

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @nishant1630

Thank you so much for your post to our community forums and welcome to the team!

I'm so sorry to hear you are effected by an early disconnection fees, I understand how frustrating they can be. Unfortunately the information given by the community is correct. You can read more about these here.  

You can raise a complaint to dispute these charges here but I can't guarantee this will get the fees waived. 

Thank you.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos