cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXACTLY 30 days' notice (no more, no less)

iida
Tuning in

My 12-month contract is coming to an end on the 29th of July and I am trying to make sure it does not continue automatically as the new rates are simply unaffordable. On the phone today, after a fair amount of queuing, I was told I need phone VirginMedia _exactly_ 30 days beforehand in order to avoid early disconnect costs or adiitional charges. This means I need to call them again on the 29th of June. However, that day I will be at a conference in Germany and really do not fancy calling an 0345 number and waiting in the queue for an unspecified amount of time because it gets expensice AND because I have better things to do that day. I cannot imagine why the cancellation period is set at exactly 30 days unless its intention was to deliberately make life difficult for people wanting to cancel - even if they happened to know they wanted to cancel 2 months in advance. This is very poor customer service in my opinion (unless there is a sensible reason for the 30 days - but why not more? Why not 30-60 days?). The online chat option is never available when I check.

On another forum post, I found an alternative: I could cancel my contract by writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, NG2 3GG. However, it is not specified whether the letter needs to arrive there _exactly_ on the 29th of June, or it needs to be postmarked _exactly_ on the 29th of June. Could you please confirm what you need and when? I am incredibly frustrated by this nonsense.

94 REPLIES 94

Hi Lisa/VM team,

I’ve just encountered the same situation, which is very annoying for me, and very annoying that although the miscommunication and lack of knowledge of the phone advisors has been made clear, still nothing has been done to resolve it.

My minimum period ends on the 6th August 2020. I called to cancel all of my services (disconnect) at the end of the minimum period, that is the 6th August 2020, only to be told that this wasn’t possible and I needed to call back on the 6th July. I hadn’t read this thread to challenge the advisor at the time, but I’m not going to waste my time calling back for the same result.

Can someone contact me to help arrange a disconnect request to end my services ON 6 August 2020? I’d also like details of how to complain, this abundance of misinformation and half-asked advise on the phone isn’t good enough. 

Hi Lewcooper,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community,

I am sorry you have been unable to give your notice longer than 30 days, we are unable to cancel accounts. it is onlt our customer relations team who can arrange disconnections, I am sorry for any inconvenience cause however it would be them you need to contact.

Regards

Paul. 

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me. For clarity, can you confirm that it is possible to give more than 30 days notice to disconnect my services? I.e. I can call tomorrow for disconnection on 6 August 2020?

thanks!  

Sadly you cannot provide longer than 30 days notice. 

^Martin

But Martin, several of your colleagues have mentioned in the thread above that it is possible. Indeed the answer to the original question stated you can.

As such, Is this a recent development or is there just deliberately no clarity on the matter?

It’s pretty ridiculous to have to give exactly 30 days notice, what about if I sent a letter asking to be disconnected on the 6th August? Would my request just be ignored, would anyone deal with it?

Also, I’d be interested to see how well that argument holds up in court if VM tried to charge me an early disconnection fee when I made clear I wanted to disconnect on 6th August...

I'm sorry if that is the case but it is 30 days notice. 

Your letter wouldn't be ignored, it would be picked up by an agent and you would be contacted to discuss it further. 

^Martin

Here is an extract from the terms and conditions taken from your site today.

How long does your agreement last?

The minimum period

-  This agreement will continue for a minimum amount of time (the minimum period). We will explain the length of your minimum period to you before you start using any services or offers, and your minimum periodwill also be set out in your order confirmation. This minimum period will typically be 12 months but we may offer services with other minimum periods e.g. 30 days or 6, 12, 18 or 24 months.

-  If you want us to stop providing the servicesat the end of your minimum period you will need to give us at least 30 days’ notice as set out in Section N of the agreement.

- We won't notify you when your minimum period is about to end, so please make sure you make a note of this date.

Of note is that it says at least 30 days notice? Not exactly 30 days notice? So not only does this thread provide different information from other virgin colleagues, but you are contradicting the T&C’s? Hence I’m still pretty unsure if you’re correct yourself, Martin.

I have spoken with another department concerning this. My apologies for the information on my replies. The 30 days is a minimum time frame. 

^Martin

Thanks Martin, but that still doesn’t solve my problem of the advisor on the phone having the same misinformation as you did initially. Can you tell me which department/who you spoke to to get the correct details? Then I would be able to direct the phone advisor to them if there is confusion.

Thank you .

How much longer do you have left on the contract? 

^Martin