Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Duplicate direct debit

I've recently moved to a new home which wasn't yet connected, so it required an engineer install. When setting up the move, I was told that my direct debit will change, they will add an extra £20 or so for the installation, which is fine. However, once the installation was done, I was told that more stuff changes - I got a new device and new account number. Later on I found out that I also got a brand new direct debit - the price of the service plus the additional £20, tied up with the new account. But then the old direct debit is still there.

Has anyone else had similar experience? Should I be worried about getting billed twice?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Duplicate direct debit

Err, this is probably not the best location for this post, could a mod move it where appropriate, please?

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

a direct debit won't disappear unless you physically remove it yourself.
it can remain dormant with no charges being applied to it.

if you are 100% sure all charges have been cleared on your old account then you can simply delete the direct debit yourself via your online or telephone banking.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Did you have any VM email addresses set up under the old account.  If so, and you want to keep using them, you should make sure that a 'Move and Transfer' is performed from the old account to the new account.  The Forum Team staff should be able to assist you with this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@chenks,

That's the problem the direct debit is not "cleared" - it still shows the old price. I've seen them modify the direct debits, where the actual amount is missing, but that's not what I see right now. In this case, I can see both accounts in the billing section of the VM website. I can see that the remaining period for the old address has been refunded in the form of credit on the VM account.

I am always wary about cancelling direct debits, as it can bring troubles on its own.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A, thanks for the response, but no - I don't have such e-mail address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi George-NG,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums. I am sorry for any confusion this has caused. Because it's a new account, it would be a new direct debit, however I understand the confusion it may cause on a bank account when viewing active Direct Debits. As long as there are no charges or bills due on the old account, you should be fine to cancel that direct debit 🙂

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos