Menu
disappointm
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Disappointed by Virgin Media's disinterest in keeping current customers

We've been with Virgin Media since NTL days and our current 12 month contract is about to end. We decided we weren't watching many of the tv channels we currently have so checked out what a more basic tv/broadband/phone package would cost on the website before phoning to see about changing and starting a new 12 month contract.

I was told it would be £69 per month for the bundle we'd chosen. I pointed out that is shows as £50 per month for 12 months with a £35 one off set up fee on the website for people wanting to join virgin media. (So for comparison, equivalent to just under £53 per month for 12 months taking into account the one off fee.)

I asked why as a current customer wanting to start a new 12 month contract would I be expected to pay an extra £16 per month (£192 extra over the 12 months) only to be told because what's on the website is only offers for new customers so I'd have to cancel and come back as a new customer to get that price. He was unable to tell me how long I'd need to leave for so put me through to someone else about cancelling.

I explained the same thing to the lady and that we were advised we'd need to cancel and rejoin to get the price shown on the website.

After some back-and-forth and checking that she was actually giving prices for the services we wanted to change to, she finally settled on the best price with her supervisors special permission discount of £82 per month. I nearly laughed out loud and wondered why had the price gone up an extra £13 in the last 30 minutes.

The best explanation she could give as to why a current customer would be expected to pay (the now even higher) extra £29 per month (£348 over the 12 month contract) for starting a new 12 month contract compared to a brand new customer joining was because "we would have had some special offer when we first joined so it's all fair really."

She said to leave and rejoin as a new customer we'd need to give 30 days notice, return the equiptment and wait another 30 days. So we left it at that while we decide who we'll switch to instead of paying a £348 premium for already being a customer.

Extremely disappointed as we've had very few problems with the service over the years but what an insult to try and charge an extra 55% (or even the extra 30% price the first person quoted) for being an existing customer.

I would be interested to hear if others have been told similar things or if there is some other attempted justification for the price difference.

0 Kudos
Jackthehat1
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disappointed by Virgin Media's disinterest in keeping current customers

They have very little interest in existing customers, their bread and butter, they told me when i left, i couldn't go back after six months, it's all to add pressure for you stay, and be conned, and ripped off some more, they show not one bit of loyalty to you, or i, their only interest is money, they will use very unethical tactics to take it from you, manipulate, and lie to you, they're very clever, and crafty, they find it only to easy to deceive people, it's apart of their job, the only way to beat them, is play them at their own game, or suffer the indignity of staying with them, and your COST£. it's dreadful how  we are all treated by Virgin, and many other companies in this country, it's shear exploitation, they should all be investigated, sadly it seems, they're all untouchable, and the reason they get away with it, many safety system setup to combat these fraudsters, Ofcom, apart of the gang 😉  sharks being protected by sharks. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disappointed by Virgin Media's disinterest in keeping current customers

Hi disappointm,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the call experience. 

All new customers get a welcome offer when they join the service, you'd have also received a welcome offer. After this offer ends, we'd then offer you the best price for the package requested. Deals are always changing so it maybe worthwhile linking in with the team soon,

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos