Menu
amymb
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Direct debit not taken AGAIN

Been with Virgin media for 2/3 years now and every single month I've had to call up and pay my bills for my TV, WiFi and phone packages and each months I get an email saying I have missed a payment... even though I have had direct debits set up and have done since the start of my contract. Every month is the same and I have to call up and end up having to pay the late fee charge and I'm sick of it. This month, no different, except this month apparently its 2 months worth of charges I haven't paid... not according to my bank app but according to virgin I now owe over £200... plus late fees?! For what?! I can see on my banking app that the direct debit has been taken out and then canceled, by virgin... not on my end and now an added fee from virgin for them cancelling my direct debit? wth is going on? As soon as my phone bill is all paid up,  leaving virgin. Its been such a struggle and a fight every step of the way. Cant get through to anyone and get a straight answer, pay this, pay that, late fees this... why? Its not my fault. I have more than enough money in my billing acount every month and somehow its on me that virgin cancel my automatic payments to them? 

Why does this keep happening?

0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Direct debit not taken AGAIN

Have you put a complaint through the VM complaints system? (Largely seems to be a waste of time but has to be done to move on to other move on to other organisations who regulate VM).

Once VM has processed your complaint (and in all likelihood failed to do anything about fixing it) you have other avenues open to you to complain.

There is the industry arbitration service CISAS

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/complainnow/

and I have a recollection of a past topic where the OP complained to the Financial Ombudsman Service when VM was repeatedly messing up DD payments.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

There is a freephone helpline number at the bottom of the page. You could check if repeatedly messing up DD payments falls within their remit.

(Edit:) This seems to fit your situation (written from POV as advice to businesses)

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/complaints-deal/banking-and-payments/direct-debits

Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Direct debit not taken AGAIN

Hi amymb, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I am really sorry to hear into the experience you've been having here - I can appreciate that this has not been good at all. I would love to be able to help and get this up and running for you as it seems like you've tried a few times with no success. Normally when this happens, it's because at some point (it could have been yesterday or 2 years ago) when a DD is cancelled from the users side, the bank automatically rejects it even though it seems to be set up, confusing, I know. 

But I don't want it to just be put down to that - so I am going to send you a private message so I can take a look into this for you 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Ryan_N- Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide