Menu
GeeMac1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Data breach not being taken seriously

Hi, 

I have had an ongoing issue since the end of July. My service was disconnected on behalf of another customer; my address was changed to theirs and I have had fees added to my account, then removed, then re-added. Furthermore, when I view my bill online, my address is STILL incorrect.

I have been unable to obtain either an explanation for why this was able to happen, or an acceptable apology/offer of compensation/reason why I should remain a customer.

There are a number of other issues associated with this, that I won't bore you with, but I would really appreciate a moderator/actual person replying to me to open some sort of dialogue and perhaps finally put this issue to rest.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Data breach not being taken seriously

See what the forum team can do to resolve this for you.

If you do not make any progress, you can seek advice from the ICO ('Your personal information concerns' here)

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

The current data protection laws (GDPR) really tightened up the requirements on suppliers to process and store information correctly, with a significant hike in potential levels of fine if they do not.

0 Kudos
GeeMac1
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. I have already started the complaint process with VM, and alerted the ICO. I am sick of hanging on waiting to try and speak to someone, only to be fobbed off again. 

Furthermore, when I looked to see if anyone had replied to me, I couldn't find the original post. I'm very confused and increasingly frustrated!

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The VM support system can be very frustrating and ineffective but give the forum team a chance. They can often make progress with issues where other parts of the VM support system have failed.

The normal sequence going beyond the VM complaints process would be to go to CISAS (an independent arbitration service) but they state they do not deal with data protection matters so I guess your final redress would be via the ICO if VM do not resolve the problem for you.

The forum team can take up to a week to reply but normally respond within a few days.

(You might like to unmark the helpful answer in #2 above until your issue is fully resolved by VM for you)

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post GeeMac1, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see you've been having issues with your account and with a potential data breach

I'd be happy to look into this for you and to deal with your complaint

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Harlpop
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just logged in and got a message saying ," the password I used was involved in a data breach , would I like to change it now"

Yet Virgin media commented on this breach saying no passwords were involved ??
0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Harlpop, thanks for the message, It sounds like our internet security have detected issues with the email address, can you confirm if you have managed to change the password or still require assistance with this? Chris 

0 Kudos