Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Damaged External Box

We have just had our drive redone & they damaged one of the external junction boxes on the wall.  We have been with Virgin since we moved in the house, but this looks like an old BT box. 

Does anybody know if this is redundant anyway and I am correct in saying that the Virgin phone is through a different cable? (We have a brown box next to it with the Virgin logo on it which thankfully they do not seem to have damaged)! We do not seem to have any problems with our internet or the phone line, so it is more of an aesthetic issue / cables exposed with the smashed box.   Many thanks.

BT1.jpg

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damaged External Box

@ejpfmt wrote:

We have just had our drive redone & they damaged one of the external junction boxes on the wall.  We have been with Virgin since we moved in the house, but this looks like an old BT box. 

Does anybody know if this is redundant anyway and I am correct in saying that the Virgin phone is through a different cable? (We have a brown box next to it with the Virgin logo on it which thankfully they do not seem to have damaged)! We do not seem to have any problems with our internet or the phone line, so it is more of an aesthetic issue / cables exposed with the smashed box.   Many thanks.

BT1.jpg

It looks like one of these

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/BT66-Junction-box/td-p/1166516 

Does your phone line go through the HUB?

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How do I know if it goes through the HUB or not?  There does not look like there are any wires going from the old BT box to the brown virgin junction box.  We have two wires coming from ground into the Brown box, a thick one and a thin one.  So is the thin one the Virgin Phone line & the thick one the Fibre broadband?

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@ejpfmt wrote:

How do I know if it goes through the HUB or not?  There does not look like there are any wires going from the old BT box to the brown virgin junction box.  We have two wires coming from ground into the Brown box, a thick one and a thin one.  So is the thin one the Virgin Phone line & the thick one the Fibre broadband?

I believe the thin one is the legacy method of VM integrating a phone line.

Do you have a phone line plugged into the HUB itself, or is it a generic phone socket on the wall inside your home?

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The landline goes into a NTL socket in the wall (showing it's age!), not into the Hub.  Not that we ever use the land line, but it seems to have a dialling tone!

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ejpfmt wrote:

The landline goes into a NTL socket in the wall (showing it's age!), not into the Hub.  Not that we ever use the land line, but it seems to have a dialling tone!

Ah, so it DOES appear to use the legacy 'small' wire!

Regardless it sounds like you don't need to worry about the BT box, unless of course you change provider.

I'd suggest at least covering it with something just in case.