Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cut off threat

Hi I’ve received an email today saying that my package will be switched off tomorrow due to billing issues.

I changed direct debit account in February and a direct debit payment was made successfully on 23rd March. I also made a payment in March so my account is in credit. I’ve also had written confirmation from Virgin that direct debit is set up.

It is impossible to get through to the call centre due to Corona virus shutdowns.

The email says to verify the payment in my account, how do I do that when it’s showing correct direct debit information. Any ideas what I can do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cut off threat

HI,

Send me a PM with your account number and ill check for you.

Thanks Chris

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@elliemay16 wrote:

Hi I’ve received an email today saying that my package will be switched off tomorrow due to billing issues.

I changed direct debit account in February and a direct debit payment was made successfully on 23rd March. I also made a payment in March so my account is in credit. I’ve also had written confirmation from Virgin that direct debit is set up.

It is impossible to get through to the call centre due to Corona virus shutdowns.

The email says to verify the payment in my account, how do I do that when it’s showing correct direct debit information. Any ideas what I can do?

Definitely not from Virgin Media; no reputable company is going to issue such a time threatening communication. Forward to phishing@virginmedia.com and delete; if during the send process a Spam Content Found warning is shown then Virgin Media are already aware of it and have started to block it.

If you have any concerns about your account sign into My Virgin Media with the account holder's authentication credentials to verify the state of your account under My Bills ; do not use any links provided in the email.

If you have any further concerns post back here and the forum community will try to help.

FYI: checkout posts by @Int-Sec on the Security matters forum for the latest news on such targeted scams.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@elliemay16 

As stated above, this is a well known and common scam email. But please tell me you didn't actually click on the link in the email message which would take you to a fake VM look-alike website and ask you to enter your details to 'confirm'!