Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Customer service is a joke!

In the middle of worst pandemic we have experienced, our contract has come to an end. Virgin have in their wisdom decided to double the cost of the service we have with them !!!!

to make matters worse all the contact pages have been removed from the websites - this is an absolute joke 

can someone direct to a customer service contact who can help otherwise I will just cancel the DD and see how soon they get in touch !! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Customer service is a joke!

I'm sorry but this story just a bit of a bad joke too.  VM have lost most of their call centre capacity because of the most serious pandemic to have affected humanity in the lifetimes of most of us. They have done their best to maintain contact through the residual capacity left in the UK and through the text messaging service described here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425...

The contact pages have not been removed from the VM sites. Just look for the "Contact Us" link at the very bottom of every VM page (where they always been). And logging into My Virginmedia would give you access too. Undoubtedly the process of making contact is slower but that is true for almost all of the business I deal with. VM is no exception. 

However from what you say I can only assume that that you knew that when your initial promotional period, usually 12 months, came to an end the price of your services would go up. So you have known for 12 months what would happen. You have been benefiting from the very generous discounts that VM offer customers to join their service.  But that generosity has an end point.

By all means just canncel your DD. And you will discover the consequences. VM will see that you have unilaterally abrogated your contract and will treat the unpaid subscriptions as a debt to be collected. Your services will suspended (still you won't care about that) but the collection process will follow shortly afterwards. VM's own collections services will start and the then the debt collectors. At the same time an adverse credit report will go on your credit record. 

Now, of course, you might feel that you want to renegotiate your current deal and see what terms VM might offer to retain your custom. But you will either patiently have to retry calling them or use the messaging service and await a response.

Still you are free to do as you wish. Just don't blame others when you knew all along what was going to happen at the end of your promotional period. and don't deny that you haven't been warned of what will happen if you act as you plan.

I have advised as plainly as I can.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Customer service is a joke!

Edit: Pipped to the post by HowardML, and with exactly the same thoughts.  Save yourself the time and don't read this!

1) You signed a contract with a time limited discount.  The price rise will be unwelcome, but you would have known that the discount was expiring.  If you don't want that then you can write (or previously could have) to cancel the contract.  Leaving things to the last minute and hoping to phone in and get a new deal is a valid strategy, but if you have chosen that, you have to accept the risk that it doesn't work, whether because VM choose not to offer a discount (as has been happening to some customers), or because you can't get in touch with them.

2) I'm no fan of VM's world-class-appalling customer service in normal times, at the moment you have to cut them some slack.  Call centres are high desk density operations, and usually large sites with 400-2,000 employees.  Put in social distancing and you lose around two thirds of the capacity.  And it may not be the desk density, but peculiarities of workplace legislation (as one example) ratios of toilets to employees.  Outside of health and social care, I'd imagine that anybody working in or trying to manage a contact centre has one of the most stressful jobs going at the moment.  Griping that it is so unfair isn't going to get you very far.  I assume you've tried the VM text for call back service - and allowed a few days?  

3) If you want to cancel your direct debit, feel free.  But VM will rightly treat that as a credit default if you're still under contract and/or have any money owing.  Any outstanding payments (eg your month's notice, maybe the assumed value of VM's hub etc) may be passed to a debt collection agency.  If they class you as "could pay but won't pay" they may seek a county court judgement against you for the money.  And the default and any CCJ will be recorded on your credit history file for any company to see for the next six years.  And that in turn could affect applications by you for energy supply, water, credit cards, mortgages or new tenancy agreements, car finance, a new ISP, contract mobile phones, even pay monthly insurance.  Some employers check credit history for new employees as a basic check of trustworthiness.  Unless you've already got a heavily soiled credit history, stopping a DD to a company to whom you are under contract will introduce you to a new world of inconvenience.  But, it is your choice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks