cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit file default

coredrummer
Joining in

I used to be a customer at my old address (which was a private let). I was offered a council house and had to move, and wished to keep my services. However was told Virgin didn't supply my new address as it is a new build and would have to cancel, which would incur early termination fees of over £160. As this was unavoidable due to the nature of my move I wasn't happy with this, and had no way to pay as I was incurring alot of costs moving into my new home with carpets, white goods etc. I was told by customer services that she could file a complaint on my behalf to ask that the termination fees be waivered due to the cancellation being unavoidable as I wished to take my services with me, and the fact virgin didn't supply my new address wasn't my fault. This was in October 2021, and the only correspondence I received from virgin was to confirm they had received my returned equipment. I have heard nothing from virgin since, and had assumed this had been settled as I provided my new address and haven't ever received any other correspondence relating to that bill. I have now (6 months later) received a default on my credit file, for the unpaid bill, and am being harassed by advantis credit company for the outstanding balance. I have asked for DSAR and will persue this as Virgin made no attempt to contact me about that bill, and now after years of building my credit it has been destroyed, as many others like me have posted already.

Please help! 

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My reply will be lengthy. On the face of it, the facts here seem to be...

An early-termination fee was charged and not paid, and VM's credit process has now kicked in resulting in credit file entries. Sorry to be blunt, but there's nothing surprising about that.

The issues at dispute would appear to be the charge being levied... You say "I was told by customer services that she could file a complaint on my behalf to ask that the termination fees be waivered.... I have heard nothing from virgin since, and had assumed this had been settled" and I fear is your fatal mistake. Unless you had it in writing that these fees were to be waived, then they would seem to be correctly incurred - you may have cause for complaint about the morality of these, but they would have been in your contract at the time and so you were liable for them.

It may interest you to learn that these charges have recently been scrapped for home-move scenarios, but you have referred to a 6month timelag, and you therefore pre-date this by some way.

Realistically, I think your best bet is to treat the charge as the basis for an "I don't think this is fair" complaint and throw yourself at the mercy of VM's goodwill. They won't be under any obligation to remove this, but may do.. you can do this either by waiting for forum staff to respond, or by using the complaints code of practice detailed here ... but until VM do agree to do this, the default is probably valid and therefore needs to be paid if you want it to be marked as "settled" on your file.

The complication is that, as best I can tell, this charge was validly incurred - so unless VM agree that it should have been waived.. then the default is unlikely to be cleared, just merely marked as "settled".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @coredrummer

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding the Early Disconnection Fees, I am sorry that we were unable to provide for your new home. Regarding your complaint, I would like to take a look further into this - I'm sorry to hear you did not receive any further details regarding your complaint. I shall send you a private message now to obtain the details required so we can look into this.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner and get back to me when you can.

Kind regards,

Serena