Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Credit file ammendment

Long story! I called virgin up 6 months ago to move house, ended up talked into upgrading. I was led to believe this would be an update on my existing account and moved to my new address. 6 months later I go to get a mortgage and see I’ve defaulted. They’ve set up a NEW account for the upgrade (which has been paid on time every month) so naturally defaulted on my other (old) account. This is ruined my credit file. The off thing is I have an email from Virgin saying I have no remaining balance, confirmation to the old account being closed on 12/12/19 but STILL they refuse to take it off my credit file. They said I asked for two accounts.. who would pay for an account at a house they no longer live at?? I don’t know why it’s defaulted as I haven’t changed my bank? So how can a cancelled account default with the SAME bank details as the new one? They say pay or they won’t ammend my credit file- so basically blackmail. I now can’t get a mortgage.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Credit file ammendment

how much are they asking you to pay? as you said "no remaining balance".

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

£176.88. It’s absolute madness as I even have emails from them saying ‘there is no remaining balance’ after being on the phone for four hours I’ve found out they set up a new account when I moved house rather than ammend the exisiting. Apparently this is how they do things and the reason I (unknowingly) had to accounts. so apparently the remaining balance was a cancellation fee DESPITE upgrading and now paying more And the final months bill 😂 so everytimes I’ve called up they’ve only told me my existing account is up to date... never told me I had a closed account WITH a balance. Yet somehow, despite me calling to check, this is my fault. How am I suppose to know they made a new account and failed to tell me I had one closed account with a balance? despite calling! It’s honestly crazy how they can get away with this. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

They do set up a new account as the account numbers are specific to the area and house etc. But they should of closed the old one when they did this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sjb512,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your credit file due to your old account not being closed .

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

They did close it thanks. I’m now recently finding out the issue was there was a remaining balance on this old account which they didn’t tell me. So I’m paying this new account (on time) unaware of this remaining balance and defaulting. I’ve called up numerous times and been told ‘ you have no balance’ how am I suppose to know about this closed account. How did they even let me set up a new one if I even owed them money in the first place! No company would do that. It’s crazy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

1) they wouldn't have known you defaulted when you setup the new account. The debt would of been after you closed the account
2) when you call up they access your account using the account details you give. As this is a new account they wouldn't have access to the old account when you called up

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

1) why set up a new account if I have a remaining balance. This is what caused the default- I was told I had nothing to pay and it would jsut increase from £30’to £80 bill each month. Unaware of balance = default. I should have been told. 

2) I was never told I would have a new account- this is the whole problem. you clearly aren’t understanding my issue here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

when you move you get a new account, and any emails you got about this would have had a new account number.

whether the old account is closed or left open is a seperate issue, but a new account is what happens when you move.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do you owe them money?

0 Kudos