cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract up for renewal but...

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract is up for renewal next month. I'm happy to sign up to a new 18-month contract but only want Broadband (I currently have phone / TV - both of which I never use).

I've tried calling a couple of times a few days ago. The first time I called, nice guy on the phone realised that I wanted to go from a three-product package to a single product package, said they didn't deal with that and passed me to another team. They quoted a silly price for Broadband only, and wanted to charge me a cancellation fee. I tried to explain that I wanted the new contract to start when the new contract finished, but they wouldn't / couldn't understand this and insisting on only being able to start it from the day I called.

Next call, the person tried to sell me the 'everything' package and again, wouldn't / couldn't understand that I don't want to buy something I'm not going to use, no matter what the price. I then asked for a 'free' product to be removed, which caused my monthly fee to almost double.

Can someone help me swap to a Broadband only package, at a reasonable price, that starts on the same day my current contract finishes? Is it really that hard? 

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally managed to transfer to a broadband only package, that is on a 30-day contract (they don't do 18 months ones apparently) that will cost the same as my 'three services' discount price one. I think the person was genuinely surprised when I said 'yes' but I'm now free to look around for better deals/ customer service.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm pleased to see that you have managed to agree to a new contract, albeit a 30 day rolling contract (requires 30 days cancellation notice) so you are free to leave without any early termination fees BUT VM do still have a  couple of 24 month broadband only deals (M125 and M250) which as an out of contract customer would cost £30 a month and £33 a month respectively, which fall within you £35 a month price point. You should have been offered those choices and then attempted to negotiate a lower price point.  I would be inclined to negotiate again armed with those facts if you can bear it.

Clipboard01.jpg

See https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali