Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Contract renewal disappointment

Hi All,

Pretty disappointing with customer service. I got a renewal quote from Virgin (TV+Broadband) and the cost is excessive - £55 per month Vs £39 per month with BT for the same service. I called customer service to discuss the price and see if they can match the quote from BT. When reviewing my options the assistant noticed that I am on an "old" TV package called Fun TV -L. She moved this over to the new naming for the TV package, mind you I would still get more or less the same number of channels. By doing this my quote would then go up to £66 a month! Not only you cannot match the quote from BT but due to a new naming for the TV package my quote would go up by an extra £11 a month. What is the logic behind this? This is simply ludicrous and an absolute scam.

I am extremely disappointed with this and for sure will certainly consider the new offer from BT.  

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract renewal disappointment

That's the commercial position that VM want to adopt, and there will be logic behind it.  For example, I'll wager that VM's data from the 5.5 million customers they have shows that even when people say "That's pricey, I'll leave", most of them stay, and maths is probably that the benefit of keeping standard prices high results in greater profits than offering bigger discounts or lower standard prices. Some of it comes down to WHEN you call, WHO your telephone call gets through to, and HOW you engage with the agent.  The retentions agents are trained in what they do, they're paid bonuses for profitable performance, and they're doing this all day every day.  If they don't believe you will leave, they won't offer the best deal they are authorised to offer. 

The best deals are always offered to new customers (that's how most markets work, whether we like it or not), and if best deal at lowest cost without haggling is what you want, then your strategy should always be to be willing to leave at the end of a new customer deal, go to another ISP, and then flit back to VM (or another ISP) when that deal ends.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

also BT are unlikely to be able to offer the same as VM. BT speed are limited and the BT TV is nowhere near as good as VM or Sky

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

...and charging an extra £11 on top of the quote I already got because of a change of a TV bundle name is also acceptable?
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Only you can decide if that is acceptable.  If you cancel, then it obviously isn't acceptable.  If you stay and pay it (even if you don't like it) then by definition is is acceptable.  As for VM, it's that commercial decision on pricing and bundling, they're doing what they believe is in their investor's best interests. 

We're mid-quarter at the moment, and quarterly results matter to companies, so that can influence deals.  You might be better off letting your contract to roll on to the expensive standard price and 30 day notice for now, and then phoning up before or just after Christmas (but before New Year) and doing the "go on, give us a discount" routine, added to which competitors may have some even hotter offers for the same reason.  If VM are still not competitive,then you can either take the best competitor offer, or wait and see if deals improve in Q1 next year.