cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract extended without informing me or obtaining my consent

Ralsei
Tuning in

Hi,

I took out a new customer broadband/phone/TV package in May 2022 that has a duration of 18 months. Knowing that my contract is due to expire soon, and with intention of leaving Virgin Media at the end of it, I've just checked my contract details to get the exact date my contract ends and discovered that its now saying there is a minimum of 8 months left on the contract (as of October) which pushes it beyond the agreed 18 months when agreed to when I signed up.

However, my contract also says the new customer discount that covers the duration of my contract still runs out on the 24th November 2023 (18 months from the date it started), meaning my monthly bill is going to literally more than double in price come November. SO its now looking like I've been locked into a contract extension completely without my knowledge and most certainly without my consent by Virgin Media.

Can a member of the Virgin Media support team check this discrepancy for me and correct it please?

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"when agreed to when I signed up." Your contract does not start when you sign it, it starts when your connection first becomes live. This for some unlucky people can actually be months later.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thankfully that doesn't apply here. The 24th May 2022 is the start date on the contract. And that's when the installation took place, making 24th November 2023 the end of the 18th month contract.

The only thing I can think of that's done this is when Virgin Media offered to lower my monthly costs during a phone call I had with them about their published price increases around March 2023. A pretty unexpected but decent gesture I thought at the time. But I now suspect that is what is responsible for the contract discrepancy. It goes without saying that at no point during that call did any VM agent mention anything about extending my contract period. But my gut tells me that is what they've done without informing me or with my explicit consent. Extremely unethical if so.

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Ralsei,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been having this issue with your account, from what you have described it does seem like when you spoke to us in March 2023, that you did agree into a new package when discussing the lower amount, I am happy to go about looking into this further with you, for me to do so I will need to confirm some information from you in a private message.

Joe

Ralsei
Tuning in

That's the problem Joseph. I wasn't offered a new package. Nothing changed. I was told that due to my concern over price rises that VM could offer me a price reduction. At no point did the agent say that constituted a package change and would extend my contract period. I'd have said no otherwise because why on earth would anyone with a concern over prices rises agree to have their contract extended and the price for the same package they are currently receiving more than double during that extension? The agent I spoke to said absolute nothing about that being the case and I'll be making a Subject Access Request of the recorded call to prove this if this isn't rectified.

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Ralsei,

Glad i was able to help you out today, if there is anything further we can do to help you please do let us know.

Joe