cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract entered without consent incorrect bills

CP1991
Tuning in

I moved house in march 22 when i did this i took virgin media broadband with me. I contacted virgin arranged the house move and at the same time was told your near the end of your contract would yoj like to agree a NEW contract now to which i agreen a price of £35 per month (they dispute it is £39.25 per month) to which is fine i dont have proof of the £35 and they dont have s recording of my calls. I paid £39.25 in april and may and then my bills jumped to £60.25 for two months so i contacted them to complain they apologised said my account was being credited and all was done. Since then my bill has been up and down all over the place ive complained 4 times the last was in august to which i have recently found out that they have entered me into yet another contract of £45 per month WITHOUT. My knowledge or consent and yet again no phone call recording. I have since spent several hours on the phone trying to resolve this i am owed nearly £90 and just want my contract cancelled without paying a stupid fee for a contract i didnt agree to i have been cut off on the phone several times i even got directed to there collection department who asked me to pay the nearly £90 to them 🤦‍♂️ its quite frankly been rediculous and i want it gone so i can move on they can keep the nearly £90 as just want rid of there terrible customer service. I was directed here from them on twitter and hopefully will get somewhere !!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

These "didn't get the deal I agreed" situations happen from time to time - in fact they happen regularly with Virgin Media. However, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was promised, whether they like it or not. No matter what VM say about "not the right deal", "can't offer that to you", "deal not on the system", you agreed a contract with their agent, that is now binding . And perhaps they need to re-train some of their staff because yours is a regular complaint in these forums.

Hopefully the forum staff can pick this up and get it sorted - by which I mean that you get exactly the deal you were promised, suitably backdated to when it should have been effective, and an appropriate goodwill gesture (say £70) for the inconvenience and stress. That would be the cheapest and quickest resolution for both parties, and the best way of trying to recover some goodwill in a bad situation. If they can't get it sorted in that complete manner (and don't settle for miserly goodwill payment), you need read the Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice and raise a formal complaint. I suggest in writing, by recorded post. Reject the contract they're trying to impose, and demanding that as per your legal rights the company honour what was promised, and pointing out that if the company can't honour its agreement you will escalate to Ombudsman Services as soon as permitted by the rules.

If VM still won't honour the contract despite the complaint, or issue a fob-off resolution that doesn't settle things acceptably, then you reply by rejecting the "resolution" and asking for a deadlock letter, with that you take the matter to the Ombudsman. If VM stall and you can't get a deadlock letter then (ignoring that it is a breach of regulations) then eight weeks after your initial complaint was received by VM you can take the matter to the Ombudsman without a deadlock letter. Explain the background and request that VM be required to give you the promised deal, fully backdated, and add on a request for compensation for the hassle.

As I said earlier, hopefully the forum staff can get this resolved quicker and without the formality.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

These "didn't get the deal I agreed" situations happen from time to time - in fact they happen regularly with Virgin Media. However, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was promised, whether they like it or not. No matter what VM say about "not the right deal", "can't offer that to you", "deal not on the system", you agreed a contract with their agent, that is now binding . And perhaps they need to re-train some of their staff because yours is a regular complaint in these forums.

Hopefully the forum staff can pick this up and get it sorted - by which I mean that you get exactly the deal you were promised, suitably backdated to when it should have been effective, and an appropriate goodwill gesture (say £70) for the inconvenience and stress. That would be the cheapest and quickest resolution for both parties, and the best way of trying to recover some goodwill in a bad situation. If they can't get it sorted in that complete manner (and don't settle for miserly goodwill payment), you need read the Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice and raise a formal complaint. I suggest in writing, by recorded post. Reject the contract they're trying to impose, and demanding that as per your legal rights the company honour what was promised, and pointing out that if the company can't honour its agreement you will escalate to Ombudsman Services as soon as permitted by the rules.

If VM still won't honour the contract despite the complaint, or issue a fob-off resolution that doesn't settle things acceptably, then you reply by rejecting the "resolution" and asking for a deadlock letter, with that you take the matter to the Ombudsman. If VM stall and you can't get a deadlock letter then (ignoring that it is a breach of regulations) then eight weeks after your initial complaint was received by VM you can take the matter to the Ombudsman without a deadlock letter. Explain the background and request that VM be required to give you the promised deal, fully backdated, and add on a request for compensation for the hassle.

As I said earlier, hopefully the forum staff can get this resolved quicker and without the formality.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @CP1991 

I've moved your post to the manage Your Account forum as VM Staff don't tend to check the natter forums

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi CP1991,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, really sorry to hear when moving your offered package price didn't remain the same and we had to correct this and then after phoning again you have been put in a new contract without your knowledge so would now like to cancel, I will be more than help, what I can do is make sure the term that was left before the change is added, if you still wish to cancel there would be early disconnection fees  however these would be based on your old contract.

Regards

Paul.

Thanks for the reply however that is not satisfactory you have -

1.Entered me into a contract without my consent(illegal)

2.Charged me random amounts of money between £30.26 and £60.25 since may 2022 for a contract that was supposed to be £35 per month

3.Previously refused to refund money that i am owed due to been over charged (illegal)

4.Provided the worst customer service over the phone i have ever experienced 

5.Failed to provide recorded phone conversations to your own staff so that they can review what was originally agreed  

i simply want nothing more to do with virgin media and believe via the points i have raised you have already broken the contract and therefor forfit any right to claim early termination fees. 

from the bills charged above and below £35 the total amount owed to me from may is £86.36 i have said previously i am not interested in claiming this back aslong as my contract is cancelled 

Thanks 

Hey @CP1991, thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry to hear you've left Virgin Media and all the troubles you have had.
If you'd like, I can still look in to this for you and resolve any outstanding queries that may remain.

Let us know and we can go on from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have not yet left i am still in the process of trying to leave but no one has yet come forward with any real information or resolution to get it done its always the same that you want more money from me !!

Thanks for the reply @CP1991 on the forums.

I will assist you on this and try to get this matter resolved.
I will send a private message - watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs