Menu
djinuno
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Contract Upgrade/Downgrade extension period

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if someone can help to answer a question I have, I am currently on a contract with tv + Broadband but I am considering either downgrade to Broadband only (I rarely use the tv) or maybe shop around, but I am more interested in finding out about promotions/offers they have with broadband only first.

But before contacting them I would like to find out if I take on an offer that extends my contract for another 12/18 or more months if there is any cooldown period where I can leave Virgin without paying any fees or penalizations?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Contract Upgrade/Downgrade extension period

Standard VM approach is that any contract change starts a new 18 month fixed term contract with heavy early exit penalties - usually £240 unless you're in the last few months of the contract term. 

When you change contract, you always have a 14 day cooling off period to revert to your previous terms, after that you're locked in unless:

1) You pay the early termination fee

2) VM choose to release you (eg under the minimum speed policy, or by mutual agreement in exceptional circumstances), or

3) VM are ordered to do so by the industry arbitration scheme (eg for protracted failure to resolve a performance problem). 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oooh, and whilst not quite the same as your situation, there's some thoughts on how to get a good deal in the message below.  Easiest option is to just take the best offer that Sales will make you, the Retentions agents will always be able to offer a better price, but so long as you join in the game:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/can-you-downgrade-package-without-using-the...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

djinuno
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrew-G,

Thank you so much for your reply, it's really helpful and exactly the info I was looking for.

Cheers

0 Kudos