Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Contract Termination Fee query

Hi, I have just cancelled my VM account for TV, Broadband and Telephone, and have given 30 days notice.

I am not tied to a contract as I have been with them for 3 years, and so have given 30 days notice, as required.

They have sent me a final bill today, trying to request £17.40 (3 @ £5.80 each) "Contract Termination Fees" to cancel my account.

What is that all about ?

Has anyone heard anything so ridiculous; obviously I won't be paying it !!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Contract Termination Fee query

If you withhold payment that VM believe is owed, they'll put a black mark on your credit file, and ultimately they could add late payment fees, and eventually hand it to a debt collection agency.

So I would recommend you do pay it, but unless VM provide a compelling explanation that you agree with, immediately raise a complaint (search VM complaint policy, do it in writing by donkey post).  VM then have two months to resolve the complaint to your total satisfaction, if they haven't then at that time you can escalate the complaint to the arbitration service CISAS - and at that point add a request for compensation for the hassle.  All of which is slow, but if it gets to that situation you may derive some satisfaction that VM will have to pay case fees far in excess of the disputed amount.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hmmmm could it be that you have gone into a new month so its a prorata charge for a part month - but the fact tere are 3 identical charges would not make sense so lets ask for an explanation

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Andruser, I will raise a complaint, cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony, I'm going to raise a complaint against VM, as per Andruser's reply, cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi MCQUEG, thanks for messaging us and welcome to the forums. 

Can you tell us a little more about what has happened and confirm the following? 

• When was the disconnection booked and when did the services disconnect? 
  • Was this for all services?
  • Was a number due to be ported as the line would need to remain active while this is done? 

Kind regards Chris. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris, services were cancelled by me on 14/12/19 and disconnected on 13/1/20, and so, I thought that the only costs I would have to pay were for telephone usage.

All services were cancelled, so why would I have to pay a Contract Termination Charge ?

I was advised that my number couldn't be ported, so I understood that I would lose this.

Please advise?

Thanks,

Gordon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Morning @MCQUEG

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - sorry to understand that there has been an issue with your final bill after you have disconnected your account with us. 

I have located your account and can see what the issue is; in order to chat about this in more detail I'll need to pop you a Private Message so we can go through some security with you and help you out 🙂 

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All sorted by Katie and charges now removed. many thanks to all,

Gordon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You're more than welcome Gordon - glad that I was able to get that sorted out quickly for you. 

You know where we are if you need anything further. 

Cheers 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos