Menu
Smithyg22
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Contract £1 more expensive than agreed

So a couple of months ago I negotiated a new 18 month contract over the phone with the customer retention team. We agreed on £33 a month. 

no contract was emailed to me, and I haven’t signed anything - but my bill comes out at £34! My online contract says £34, but the only consent they had from me was a verbal agreement for £33  

I want to know if this has happened to others?

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was just human error, but after hearing nothing from 3 complaint emails, and waiting 1-2 hours on the phone each time with no answer, I now feel like this is a deliberate sales tactic. The guy threw a lot of numbers around and £34 was mentioned several times by the guy - but clear as day we settled on £33 - I wrote it down and it was only a £2 increase which I was happy with. 
With it only being a small “mistake” and knowing how hard it is to contact them, are the sales team just adding £1 onto verbal contracts? No matter how certain you are, it does make you question what was agreed on the phone 48 hours previously. Most people would doubt themselves, or not care, or (as is my case) not be able to talk to anyone at virgin.

webchat was unable to find a record of £33 (obviously because it was over the phone) and could only direct me to “customer service”. 

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract £1 more expensive than agreed

Hello Smithyg22

Sorry to hear of the problems with your package and cost, we can understand the confusion this can cause and we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forum. Welcome to the community.

When taking the contact, did you place the order online or by speaking to an agent on the phone or by text? Once the deal was agreed did you receive a contract via email outlining what was agreed showing £33 or £34? 

Have you been able to view your bills online to see what the £34 consists of? If it is the base cost or if there has been additional charges? You can check your bills online here virg.in/ebillinghow

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Smithyg22
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob,

thanks for getting in touch. A member of the customer retention team (Luke) called me and we negotiated the price of £33 for 18 months. I never received a contract via email and I never signed anything electronically. My first bill was £55 and my next was £14.50 due to the contract switch over (I had been warned about this) but now it is settled on £34 a month - so I checked my contract online and, sure enough, it says £34. 

my bill includes no additional charges, just £34 for my package. When I contacted web chat (the only way I’ve been able to speak to anyone) there was no record of £33 (as it was a verbal agreement over the phone) so it’s now my word against Luke’s...

regards,

greg

4768730F-41C5-4479-84A2-B6612C86DFBB.png

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Smithyg22,

Thank you for coming back to us, I am sorry you was told via the phone you would pay £33 when it is £34, if there aren't any notes advising £33 I can only apologise and assume £33 was advised in error.

Regards

Paul. 

0 Kudos
Smithyg22
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

how can it have been advised in error? It’s a verbal contract! I agreed to £33 verbally - that’s the only agreement there was. So you can just charge whatever you like after a verbal agreement can you? If so you really should push the boat out and charge me £50. 

How would I go about cancelling this contract? You have no signature from me agreeing to £34. And you have broken the terms of our verbal agreement. 

ive been with virgin for a couple of years and despite mistakes in the past you’ve always apologised and rectified them - but this is a joke! Maybe I should just start paying you £32 as I “advised in error”. 

Virgin says it records the phone conversations. Any chance you’d still have the one between Luke (customer retentions)  and I from November?

or failing that, maybe it would be prudent to check if other customers have made similar complaints against Luke or other members of the team. Having seen the resistance I’m recieving, I’m convinced more than ever this is a sales tactic. 

regards,

Greg

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Greg,

I totally get where you are coming from 100% £1 is a £1 if you were told something then yes it should stand, I advise speaking to our customer relations team on 0345 454 1111 options 1,3 then 4, you can also text thinking of leaving to 0753 305 1809 and a member of the team will aim to pick this up with 24 hours.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos