cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent overcharging, told I have to agree to whatever they charge despite contract..

AJT19
Tuning in

I have a contract with Virgin Media which quite clearly says I will pay X amount up until Y time - which is the length I agreed when I renewed my contract. I was just checking to see when my contract was up, as I have absolutely no desire to stay with Virgin Media anymore given the terrible service, constant outages etc and noticed something interesting. My Bill has consistently been £15 above what my contract says it should be.

Went to the help chat and was put through to an agent who informed me that I was told via email 2 months ago that the price was changing and as I didn't reply I agreed to the price increase. Checked my emails, funnily enough nothing about a price increase - doesn't really explain the price difference from before two months ago though....

I mentioned this to be told that as I had not raised this before (my fault as I kind of expect the contract price to be what I pay, not a suggestion) I had technically agreed to this price and there was nothing that could be done. I did try to reason that the contract price shown on my contract was what I agreed to, but no apparently this can change at any time and there is nothing I can do. Helpfully though, he did offer to renew my contract at a significantly higher price (£20 more than I now pay, or only £40 more than I am actually contracted to pay! What an offer!). Told me to take it up with the regulator if I wanted.

So, essentially this means that regardless of what you agree to, Virgin Media can change what you pay, whenever they want, without limit and if you don't immediately get on the phone automatically agree to this on your behalf for you to save you the hassle of waiting in the queue for a couple of hours to disagree.

Yeah, think this will be the last 'contract' I agree to with this company!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I love the counter offer. I would take up the offer of a forum team-assisted complaint here. At least a semblance of a process will be followed. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, AJT19. 
Thank you for joining our help forums and for your first post here, a warm welcome to the VM community.
Glad to have you on board with us! 🙂

We're sorry to hear of the issues with your contract and price increase recently and the disappointment this has caused, we'll do our best to advise on your concerns above.

Please visit our page here for more on these changes, as we're not immune to rising costs we've applied this increase however this was communicated via letter or email to all impacted customers individually 1-2 months in advance.

At that point, our customers were given the option to either accept this change or make changes to their existing deal depending on how the'd wish to proceed given the rising cost.

We appreciate that being past this change implemented back in May '23 our call agents may be unable to offer you such an option today, please let us know if you want us to help by raising a complaint should you wish and we'll be happy to review this issue.

Could we also ask if your contact email (under contact info on MyVM online) is up-to-date and if you receive our coms via email or letter in general?

Let us know more on this and we're eager to support you in the best way we can.
Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

My contract states the amount I will pay and when this price will change. So why am I not being charged this amount? A contract as far as I know is a legally binding agreement or do the Virgin Media contracts essentially mean nothing? In that case I am surely within my right to also pay what I want seeing as you can charge whatever you want? I emailed you last December to say I would pay £0, you didn't reply so therefore I took that as an agreement?! Since that email you have been taking money from my account.

Doesn't really make sense does it. A contract is a contract, I have my contract in front of me, signed and I kind of expect you to abide by it or I shouldn't be expected to either.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi again and thanks for the reply, AJT19.

We're sorry for this confusion, our T&Cs can be found here - in regard to what applied when you signed your deal with us and before the price changes this year you may refer to the T&C's before May '23 (up to November 2022).

There you may have a read and view what changes can be legally made on a contract deal, if you are not happy with this we can help raising a complaint on your behalf and we'll gladly have this issue reviewed for you.

Let us know how you wish to proceed, cheers.

Adri
Forum Team

Thanks, that does clarify that the Agreement will last for the time stated in the contract:

This agreement will continue for a minimum amount of time (the
minimu period). We will explain the length of your minimum
period to you before you start using any services or offers, and your
minimum period will also be set out in your order confirmation.
This minimum period will typically be 12 months. but we may offer
services with other minimum periods e.g. 30 days or 6, 12, 18 or 24
months.

and

Subject to the exceptions explained below, if we do any of these
things and the changes are not exclusively to your benefit, we will notify
you of this and inform you of your right to cancel this agreement without
paying an early disconnection fee by giving us notice in accordance
with Section N.
• In addition to changes that are exclusively to your benefit, if we
make: (a) changes to the equipment or services that are expressly
permitted under the terms of this agreement, or to certain cost based charges (e.g. paper billing charges or international
rates) in a way that is not likely to materially disadvantage you
(see paragraph N8 for more details); (b) purely administrative
changes that have no negative effect on you; or
(c) changes that are directly imposed by law, or where we
have a legal or regulatory obligation to pass on cost increases,
we will notify you in accordance with paragraph N10 and you will
not be entitled to cancel this agreement within your minimum
period without paying an early disconnection fee.
• If the changes we make relate only to an add-on, any cancellation
right will be limited to that add-on only (see paragraph N6(a) for
further details)
If the changes we make only relate to a supplementary service,
and those changes provide you with a right to cancel that
supplementary service, we will notify you of this and inform you of
your right to cancel the affected supplementary service and this
agreement without paying an early disconnection fee. Any
cancellation right will be limited to where you are already signed
up to that supplementary service (see paragraph N6(b) for further
information).

And checking section K - 6: the changes or additions are exclusively to your benefit.

I again, have checked my email and can see nothing to say my price is changing and can see nothing in my account to say I agreed to a change. My contract still gives the price I should be paying, which is not what you are taking from my account. My contract, 'legally binding' or so you say, tells me what I should pay and until when, unless a change is made to my benefit. Can you please show my agreement to pay any more or explain how I am benefiting from paying over £15 a month more than I am meant to? 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

We're sorry to hear this is the case, AJT19.
All communications were sent between March and April 2023, if you wish to raise your above concerns with us about this please let us know and we'll be eager to help.

About our terms and conditions, please refer to the paragraph 'changes to prices' for more - we do also provide thorough explanation on the reasons why this is happening and how it's of benefit to you on our page posted above (where you find the price increase info).

Any more questions let us know and we'll do our best to advise.

Adri
Forum Team

AJT19
Tuning in

Thanks, that might be so, but how does this explain the difference from before these dates? And again, having checked all emails from between those dates, there is nothing from yourselves to say there would be a change in price.

Given this, I will now state my monthly contract is for minus £150 per month. If you do not rely within 2 minutes it is assumed you agree - check your emails from between March and April 2023 as I also sent this then and heard nothing. As no response was received, you were assumed to have agreed and you are now in breach of contract. When can I expect the payments from Virgin Media to start?

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the further replies and your questions although we're sad to see you're not happy with what's been advised, AJT19.

We're sorry to hear the relevant communication has not reached your mailbox, do you normally receive our communications via email or letter and is your contact email up-to-date?

Please, be advised we're unable to accept your above claim or assist with new contracts over the VM forums - should you wish to agree to a new deal or make changes to your existing one you may reach our team at 0345 454 1111 or via text on WhatsApp at +447305 327 112.

Regards,

Adri
Forum Team

I love the counter offer. I would take up the offer of a forum team-assisted complaint here. At least a semblance of a process will be followed. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

AJT19
Tuning in

As above I would like to raise this as a complaint. To answer yes all the details are correct and I get all my bills offers etc to my email. I have checked, for the third time and nothing was sent in March or April. Even if it was, this would be after you guys increased my payments anyway? So to summarise, to make sure I understand the Virgin Media contract - you can change the price at any time without mutual agreement, and substantially I might add, not just a  small percentage and assume that silence is agreement. You will then apparently send an email informing people of an increase months later, which again assumes agreement. 

I only noticed as I was going through my bills as fortunately my contract is soon to end, cannot wait! If I was say an old person without immediate access this could have persisted for some time, and they automatically agree by silence to have any random amount taken from their account whenever Virgin wants. Sounds awfully suspect to me.

Anyway, unfortunately your reply here was outwith the time frame I gave to reply, so by default you agreed to my offer. This contract is legally binding by the way. I shall expect my bill to be updated ASAP to reflect your agreement.