Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Complaint - Rude Staff, Exposed Exterior Cable

I completed the phonecall feedback form and waited for a follow-up, but have heard nothing so I'll put my complaint here and hopefully it will get picked up.

Awful complaints system by the way

I noticed a cable coming out of the ground, looks to be the Virgin media one. A section of it is showing, trip hazard, not buried very deep at all for it to come up and has no trunking protection of any type like blue plastic tubing.

I rang Virgin up to discuss, spoke to a nice guy called Brian who said he'd speak with his manager about it. When he came back they said it is £99.
I said I'm not paying that, it is external gear not installed very well, I would rebury it myself but Virgin get funny if you touch the outside stuff in my experience.
He said he will get his manager, Colin I believe to call back. Ok
Sure no problem thankyou / it might be up to 2hrs / no problem I'm going nowhere, got a garden gate to paint so I'll have my handsfree / ok great.

Go paint gate, call comes in.

Chat with manager, Colin I believe, he is very flippant and I feel enjoys disappointing customers hiding behind the policies he religiously believes in. It's your usual Team Leader on a little bit more per-hour than the rest so they have elevated themselves to God status.
His answer to everything is the cable has been in 7yrs (my service started then) and not had a problem.
I reckon it's been in more than that I expect as the previous owners were on Virgin, they look to have used the same ground cable. I remember the engineer saying the cable comes into an upstairs bedroom and I should keep it that way and I had to firmly insist he install a new cable into my living room, as after all I was paying for an installation.
Anyhow the ground cable supercedes me, and it's now come out of the ground as not buried very well.

- Someone must have been digging.
- No. It's a sunny dry windtrap spot, cables just worked itself up. Can't have been buried very well.

- Yeah well it has never had a problem before.
- I sort of agree, I think I've had faults with you before over the years,...but no idea if related as you never tell me what the issue was.

- Well 7yrs no problem and not experiencing one now
- Can't remember when that's ever proven true, but anyhow it is a problem now you should sort it.

- No. It is not a problem and hasn't had a problem for 7yrs
- Well it has been in the ground that long and not been a problem if that's what you're trying to say, but now it is a problem as it's come up.

- Well it hasn't had a problem in 7yrs
- So the older things get the more resilient they get?

- it is our policy to upset our customers
- but I've been a loyal customer all these years and you still want to upset me and pay for your work?
- Sorry it is our policy.

- Ok I'll wait for someone to trip over it and disconnect, maybe hurting themselves
- Yes at that point give us a call and we can help you.

Brilliant.

Probably other stuff got said, as you look at it from other angles. How is natural geographic events my fault?
How is it not your responsibility etc but the answer is always "it's never had a problem so it won't ever, this is our policy"
Why will you fix it if someone trips and hurts themselves, but won't prevent that possible future?

I get bored of his stonewall policy, you can pay a machine to repeat the same thing over and over fyi,....get rid of your Colins.

I say something like "Ok well I'll work something out, thanks you've been an absolute delight let's end this here with your win. You hang up then as my hands aren't free."

Doesn't.

"Honestly, both my hands are full with paint and brushes so I can't hang up"

He doesn't

Cue 1+min of hang-up chicken, the phone recording will basically be the brush strokes of a garden gate being painted. Probably hears that then hangs up.
(Tues 16th June 16:48pm - 6m 8s call if you want to check your recordings)

What is the course of action I'm supposed to follow here then?

Can I bury it myself, as I don't know where it is supposed to lead as they did the burying before. I can try rebury it but if I disconnect somehow then I ring Virgin who go "oh you've been digging you've done this"
Yes as you wouldn't do it.
Ok that's some money please.

Or leave it there until it trips someone, deteriorates through weather (Virgin will then say natural causes), gets chewed by foxes and such etc etc then call Virgin up

It all leads down to £99, all the options they are giving really and the managers response is sure leave if you want to. Ok I'll do that. Great, give us £155 to end your contract early.

Is this how your managers are trained up to speak with the customers? Are they encouraged to engage in phone chicken with disgruntled customers, do you want them to show how authoritative they are by trying to impose their power over you on the phone?....what's the flowchart say when that doesn't work and all that can be heard are the brush sounds of evidence that the customer indeed cannot hang up currently whereas your snazzy Plantronics headset sitting upon your head whilst you are doing your job can do it quite easily. But hold on right, let your customer know he's won and they've lost.

Top staff. Get back to me on this, please do

PTF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaint - Rude Staff, Exposed Exterior Cable

Dear Mr Miyagi,

Can you post a photo (not of the lovely painted gate) but of the wire.

The £99 is usually a charge when VM redirect cabling in your home, which isn't down to a fault but personal preference, so say you change the layout of the house etc. So in this instance it doesnt seem correct.

Personally the best way to handle (although it will take some time) is by logging a complaint.

Got to go speak to a man about a fence...

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Daniel San.

Sure, attached a selection of photos wide view, close up, different angles etc. One shows the VM box by the front door which it eventually connects too.

Looks like it was buried shallow. That ground there had bushes many years stopping anything growing, until it died itself. Since then the ground gets hit by sun all day and nothing grows but weeds. So I reckon it's got baked, wind shifts the soil and the shallow dug cable gets exposed.

No cable redirection request from me at all, think Colin just operates on default mode for everything which is belittle the customer and expect to charge them for it.

Thing is when I spoke to Brian, and the mention of the £99 he was really apologetic as he would have to escalate it up to his manager as a complaint. I was cool with that and had to keep reassuring him it's cool Brian, no worries, take your time, get them to call me back no problem, just trying to report a potential issue.
Then you get Colin call you back and he was how he was.
So I'm complaining about Colin, the person I complained too. If I call back the chances are I'll get put through to Colin again, not the first time I've had that happen with VM and another Team Special Leader.

Googling how to complain to VM pretty much chucked me in this direction of the forum so I'll roll the dice. I haven't the time to sit on the phone trying to be a good citizen.
There's a lot of dangerous things around it to trip onto, especially those old bush roots. If I had been digging around there it would be to get those out, but no there's been no digging.

Forum is good, you can't show Colins the picture whilst all they want to do is read down to the bottom of their script.

Just trying to let the company know of a possible accident waiting to happen because of a poor cable job.
Right now I stick the green bin on the last paving slab to stop all the local kids running through there and don't want to muck about with it myself as I need the internet to work from home.

v4.JPGv5.JPGv1.JPGv2.JPGv3.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Pictures just say health and safety to me.

You could bury yourself, but you shouldn’t have to as a matter of principle.

Forum team should pick this up relatively soon. Cheers for posting the pictures that saves some time both ends.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there paintthefence,

I'm sorry to hear about the conversation you had when discussing the cable and it shouldn't have happened. I've looked at your details and will pass the feedback onto them. I'm going to send you a Private Message so I can look into this for you, please reply back to it 🙂

Thanks,

Lisa

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply. Did you send a PM as nothing in the Inbox yet? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I see why you didn’t get the message now. I’ve replied to Lisa asking her to message you instead of me. It happens!

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for keeping in the loop Shafreya, no worries. I'm sure Lisa will be by later

Have a good day

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello paintthefence,

Sorry I appeared to have sent my message to Shafreya instead (thanks for letting me know @Shafreya) instead of to yourself. I'll send you a Private Message now 🙂

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to Lisa for the help getting the cable secured, hopefully Colin hasn't alienated any other of your customers in the meantime.

DSC_0144.JPG

0 Kudos