Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cold calling 92 year old

mum is 92 yrs old and didn’t understand why she is paying over £100 a month for tv and phone. I called customer service who had to take me through security before he could speak to me. Mum couldn’t recall her password so it was near impossible to get through security as he was so inflexible with his questions. Alas, we got through so I asked to explain what she was paying for, he said phone, tv and movies, I said she doesn’t want movies why Have you loaded her bill With movies as she has never watched any, he said well it will take 30 days to remove them. I said remove everything apart from her phone and broadband, he said she has the TV package so is in Contract till next year, I said she has no knowledge of this contract and he said well she must have called to agree it and he wouldn’t remove that. My mother is 92 yrs old can not hear too well and certainly wouldn’t have called Virgin for anything so I asked him to prove she had agreed a contract- he said he would send something in the post - Still nothing ! I wrote a complaint to Sunderland which was a complete waste of time, told them to liaise with me not my 92 year old mother as I have power of attorney over her, so instead they have bombarded her with 20 phone calls and letters. This last letter she has received is a joke saying they have investigated the complaint and as a resolution to our complaint mum has requested for the power of attorney on her account ??. How is that a resolution are they all mad in VM. They have again taken £103 out of her account and have done nothing to resolve the issues raised. Last phone call was received on Friday and as she couldn’t hear the person she said I can’t hear you, so he rudely put the phone down on her and she was trying to explain to me that  she was sorry that she couldn’t hear him. What a disgusting company, their letters are all a garbled load of words with errors throughout. Who is running this company ??? How can I free my 92 old mother of paying for services she has never asked for. No one is listening at VM, call waiting is over an hour and when you do eventually get through you speak to people who are just not interested, and they totally ignore me asking that they contact me not an elderly lady who is hard of hearing. Please help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cold calling 92 year old

Due to regulations and compliance with things such as OFCOM, it's hard for the agent to be flexible with their questions to comply with the law and VM policies, but they could have sent a Password Reminder letter to the property as well for you, just so it's a lot easier next time.

Is the Power of Attorney on the account? Have you sent the paperwork to Virgin Media? From the response by the Complaints Team, it seems as though there is nothing on the account to identify a Power of Attorney. In terms of the contract itself, if there was no confirmation for the agent to process it from either you (if POA is on the account), or your mother, then the calls, account notes, etc. can be retrieved and listened to by a senior such as a Manager or Complaints.

Although you've already raised a complaint, I would recommend opening another and stating that you want the calls listened to. If the TV has a contract bound, the only way to remove this without any Early Disconnection Fees would be to raise the complaint and identify that the package change was not confirmed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/contactus/make-a-complaint - There are a couple of ways to do it, use whichever way is best for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Fedupwithvm2, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your mum's account issue, I am sorry you've been having so many issues whilst trying to get in touch. I just want to confirm my understanding of the issue - 

• Your mother subscribed to our services some time ago, it should have been just TV and broadband, but she has Sky Movies as an add on. 
  • She tried to call up herself only to have trouble remembering her password, which the agent could not help with. Making her frustrated as she is hard of hearing and the agent did not offer any help.
  • You asked for proof of the contract that she signed up to, but this is still yet to come in the post.
  • You complained about this, but had no reasonable resolution.

I understand there is a lot more to it emotionally which I am not diminishing, but can you just confirm if those points are correct and if there are any others that I have missed? 

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan, I can confirm the following

1. My mother queried her bill and asked me to call VM

2. Didn’t have her account specific security answers so your advisor couldn’t help.  When I asked what happens in this situation and surely there are client specific questions he could potentially ask he said he would post out a password and for us to call back but nothing was received. I said I couldn’t call back So asked if he could ask  anything else so he asked for her name of her bundle, what broadband speed she had, amount of last bill, her sort code and her bank account number, all of which I managed to eventually answer. 

3. He told me what she was paying for so I said she didn’t ask to have movies, he reckons she must have agreed to have them ! He said she had the tv package and was in contract, he said she must have called VM to have that package I said no way would she have done that and for him to prove it, he said he would send something in the post, again nothing received. His rudeness and arrogance made me write a complaint Which was responded by you writing to my mother and calling her Several times And texting her ! 
4. your latest letter is ridiculous, how have you performed a thorough investigation when you have provided us with no proof of contracts and no breakdown of what she is paying for and even why she is paying for anything than what she wants. Your letter suggests I call your number to discuss the power of attorney, I tried calling and there was over an hours waiting time and what has that got to do with you taking too much money from her bank.

All we want is For VM to remove movies and provide evidence my 92 year old mother hooked up with you to supply a Tv package that has created a contract. My mother also wants VM to stop calling her, she had over 12 calls from you in a matter of a couple of days and it is causing her distress. All she wants is her landline and broadband NOTHING ELSE.

we still don’t have a password to look on her account so need a username and password sent to her. 
I will further raise this complaint if this is not resolved. Her complaint reference is COM104253851

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

thanks for giving me all of that information, I am truly sorry for this poor experience you and your mother have been through, I would like to try and resolve this for you both by dealing with your complaint. 

I will send you a PM now, I do still need to ask security questions in order to move forward with this, but we will get through that part together. 

Speak soon. 

Thanks.

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Fedupwithvm2, 

Thanks for working with me in our PM, I hope with my help your forum name doesn't reflect how you feel anymore lol

I'm so glad we managed to get your issues sorted with your mum's services. 

Please, both of you, stay safe and have a lovely weekend.

Thanks, 

Megan_L