cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold call Gigabit upgrade offer

rem001
On our wavelength

I received a call from VM out of the blue offering me an upgrade in recognition of my loyalty.  The lady on the phone reeled off a whole list of items that would be included in the offer, if I took out an new 18 month contract for an additional £8/per month.  The offer included:

• An upgrade to the Gigabit service
  • Free upgrade to hub 5
  • Up to 3 free WiFi pods to extend signal
  • An O2 sim card

I asked the lady to email me the details so I could give the offer some consideration, but she seemed very reluctant to provide the details of the offer in writing telling me that the offer was only available if I took it up over the phone there an then!

Is this hard sell approach becoming the norm for Virginmedia? Who in there right mind would enter into a contract without first seeing the written details?

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

The norm is for this to happen the day after you cancel your VM contract but you have to say yes/no there and then. It is how they work.

If you haven't cancelled then such a cold call is a new one on me. 

You can opt out of them via your account settings online. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Pretty normal for VM to offer deals over the phone that only exist for the duration of the call.  This is standard practice for outbound retentions calls when people have issued 30 days notice, and I'm guessing its those people making these calls to try and up-sell you into a new 18 month contract, locking you in at a higher price to make up for people cancelling due to VM's price hikes or dodgy service.   

Unfortunately that may mean that if you didn't take the offer it's gone unless they happen to try you again - you have no control over outbound calls.  If you call in and start talking new contracts, then they are under no obligation to offer you the same deal (although the should if you play the game properly).  In terms of accepting without seeing the detail, the expectation is that you've got 14 days cooling off period to check the details out, and those details should be sent to you as soon as you agree to any new deal.  Particularly important is the new T&Cs that mean when next year's RPI+lots increase lands, you won't be able to cancel or renegotiate, and because of the devious way VM apply price increases, if you're on a decently discounted deal then you could be hit with a circa 20% bill increase

Question is, how good was the offer anyway?  You should always base any discussions off what VM will offer new customers, because if you were to cancel and then play polite hardball with VM's retentions agents then you'd get similar sorts of deals offered.  

rem001
On our wavelength

I haven't cancelled.  My existing contract doesn't expire until July.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose also here always be alive to the possibility of a clever fraudulent call to get your bank details etc. VM are the target of quite a few. If unsure then hang up. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@rem001 wrote:

I haven't cancelled.  My existing contract doesn't expire until July.

But you may have the right to cancel or renegotiate now due to the price rise (even if not notified it may yet arrive)?   Even if you're one of the rare customers on a fixed price deal and there's no price rise, VM occasionally do this, and sometimes the offers are good, sometimes they're dreadful.  There will be a logic for VM here:

Sometimes it's where they're trying to show impressive looking numbers to placate investors, eg by creating a good news story around cross selling, or takeup of 1 Gigabit speeds.  Sometimes it's just a ploy to lock customers in with an offer that's not as good as they'd get by negotiating at the end of contract, but sounds good at the time.  And sometimes it's just carefully targeted where they think these customers are likely to just cancel outright when their deal ends, and by offering a new contract and a good price they can ensure that these customers are never in the position of being close enough to end of contract to start looking at competitors offers.  

An extra eight quid a month for 18 months, plus RPI+3.9% of the undiscounted package price come next April sounds a much better deal for VM than it does for you (noting that next year you won't be able to cancel or renegotiate the price rise).  Only you can say if what they offered was a good deal because it depends on what you're paying now, what your needs are and what alternative options you might have.  

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi rem001,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced with this, whilst come offers can vary from time to time our team mostly, should be able to send communication of the offered package.

Have they contacted since?

Regards,

Kain

rem001
On our wavelength

Hi Kain_W,

I have had no contact since the original call. 

Given my existing contract isn't due to end until July, it appeared odd to recieve such a call at this time so I was a little suspicious that it may be some sort of scam.

Regards,

REM

Hi rem001, thanks for the reply and I am sorry to hear that there has been no contact. 

The call would have been from our outbound sales team. 

Can you give the customer relations team a call on 0345 454 1111 so that we can look to see if the offer is still available. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi Chris,

I find this cold call approach quite odd and disconcerting. I was cold called yesterday whilst working from home. The caller offered me a new 18 month contract, upgrading my existing hardware, software and broadband speed. Unfortunately, at this moment, I was in the middle of some complexities with my work and was not in a position to make the decision there and then under such pressure. I expressed interest and politely asked the lady to call me back tomorrow having had time to give the offer some consideration, whilst not being under pressure as I was at the time of this original call. I was basically told this was 'not possible' and the offer was basically 'now or never' and also that this offer won't be available if I were to subsequently call any VM sales teams. I don't like, or operate under pressure selling, regardless of the circumstances or company involved.

I have been a loyal customer of VM over many years and deserve a little more respect and protection from such marketing calls.

I consider myself eligible and entitled to any upgrade offers as a matter of course and be given time to fully consider the offer being presented. I fully understand marketing strategies and time limited offers, what I don't understand is this 'now or never' approach. It is now 2023 and I consider marketing techniques to have evolved away from 'old school' pressure selling, especially from reputable companies such as VM.

I would now like VM to re present this offer to me to which I am fully entitled. 

Kind regards.