cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax splitter

LukeRoberts
Tuning in

I want to take advantage of freebies tv, but don’t have a splitter to allow me to run a cable.

The only cable I have in is running my broadband.

What coax splitter is advised? 

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What do you mean by "take advantage of freebies TV"? I have some suspicions, but you could mean one of several things and I don't want to assume.

If you can explain what you're looking to achieve, you'll get the best advice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I meant freeview tv, autocorrect changed it, sorry. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which case Freeview is a completely separate platform to Virgin Media. It's fed from an external or rooftop aerial into a TV tuner and has nothing to do with Virgin Media.

If you were thinking of adding Virgin Media's "mixit" package, then that carries roughly the same channels as Freeview does, but is not Freeview.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

As a broadband customer you can get VM's Stream for a £35 activation fee. The box, connected to your hub, delivers Freeview Live TV with apps like BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+ and Netflix. You'll need to pay for subscription services such as Netflix but VM gives you a 10% rebate. VM will send round a tech to split your cable and install the box.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I appreciate that, but the freeview and my Virgin broadband both need a feed to work, they both need the same feed, and I only have one. I’m trying to figure out how to make it work for both. 

@LukeRoberts wrote:

I appreciate that, but the freeview and my Virgin broadband both need a feed to work, they both need the same feed, and I only have one. I’m trying to figure out how to make it work for both. 

As mentioned above Freeview requires a TV aerial.

The VM coax will not provide freeview, unless you have a VM tv box and subscription.

Reading this thread, I'm wondering if the OP is hoping to use a splitter with VM's cable to combine terrestrial TV broadcast with the data in the VM coax, in the same way it is possible to successfully combine VHF and TV radio signals from different aerials through a single coax? 

If that's the idea, then no it won't work well, and more importantly it'll likely cause massive problems on the local coax segment, affect all neighbouring customers and possibly result in the OP having their VM contract terminated.

Perhaps that's what he wants but for clarity here are the (cheap) choices.

1. Pay to get an aerial installed and connect the cable to the TV.

2. Pay £35 to get a VM Stream box installed (as a box is always needed to gain access to the TV signals coming down the cable).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LukeRoberts 

If you decide to get the VM Stream box then it doesn't need the VM coaxial cable.

The live TV is provided over the internet via your VM broadband.

You can connect the Stream box via wifi or by ethernet cable.

Normally, the Stream box carries a one-time activation fee of £35, but as part of VM's winter sale, it's free activatioon if you have either the M35 or M500 speed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/stream 

The Stream box doesn't have all of the Freeview channels, but it carries most of them. 

/Stream-from-Virgin-Media-Pack.pdf 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali