Menu
dAo
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Charged for free activation

I was offered a deal with free activation and installation, however the fee appears on my first bill. 

Any contact form has been removed from the website, so I have no idea what to do.

Can you please remove it from the bill?

From confirmation email:
dAo_0-1611313792683.png

From bill:

dAo_1-1611314053921.png

Account number: [Removed]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charged for free activation

Hi dAo,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry for any confusion over the charges, I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Snowy1969
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello dAo, did Alex_Rm from the Forum team sort the error in your bill charges?

I am a new customer and I received an email from VM on 30th Jan 2021 straight after agreeing my B.Band, TV & Landline telephone package on the VM website.

The email stated that cost of the package and also stated that the activation fee was FREE, but worth £35.  Then when my contract arrived it included an activation charge of £35.  I have been trying for 10 days to make contact with VM to clarify the costs before they finalise my first bill.

regards

Stuart

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Snowy1969

Thank you for taking the time to contact us in regards to your recent package change and charges applied.

Have you been able to speak to the team in regards to the activation fee charges? Did you receive the contract after agreeing the deal? Did this indicate that charges for activation would be credited?

Activation fee's will always be applied to a bill even when we agree as part of the deal for these to be free, we credit the same bill to cover the charges, is this indicated on any bills you may have recieved?

Rob

0 Kudos
dAo
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey Snowy, yes Alex_Rm got it sorted for me, and credited the amount to my account

0 Kudos
Snowy1969
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Robert_P

Sorry I did not reply sooner, but did not receive an email that someone had replied to my post???

I am a NEW customer who returned after 18 months being with Sky.  I was originally contracted to Virgin Media foe over 10 years, first with Telewest which eventually became Virgin Media.

Just to clarify I took out the NEW package on Saturday 30th Jan 2021 and received an email confirming the monthly cost and that the activation fee was free, but worth £35.

See details of email.

webteam@virginmedia.co.uk
Sat 30/01/2021 17:46

To:
  •  You

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for choosing Virgin Media. We've got your order - here's a quick summary of what you've picked, and what happens next.

Thanks for choosing Virgin Media. We've got your order.

You'll receive an email from us shortly with a link to your contract. This is a digital document and has details of your package, plus important legal terms and conditions.

If there's anything else we need to know to complete your order, we'll contact you in the next 48 hours.

For now, sit tight.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

Your order summary

Order ref: [DELETED]

Order date: Saturday, January 30, 2021

Monthly cost breakdown

You've got our Big bundle             

(18 month contract unless specified)

£46.99 a month
for 18 months then
£79.00 a month

M100 Fibre Broadband

Mixit TV

Talk Weekends

Virgin Phone Line

Your extras - all included in your monthly total

Free Voicemail

Entertainment & Drama

Equipment

Virgin Media Hub 3

Included

Virgin TV 360 box

Included

Virgin TV 360 Mini box

Included

Set up costs

QuickStart delivery

£0.00

Activation Fee

FREE

Worth £35.00

Total Payments

Monthly cost:

£46.99 a month
for 18 months then
£79.00 a month

One-off payments:

To be applied to your first bill:

£0.00

To pay today:

£0.00

Then on Sunday 31st Jan my email containing a copy of my contract arrived.  On reading the contract I discovered that it included the activation fee of £35

Using the details in the contract email I was able to setup my Virgin Media account, but had problems when the Confirm your My Virgin Media username email arrived.  The "Confirm My Username" link did not work and I requested another email as I was still on the "Create a Virgin Media account webpage.  This also did not work.

It wasn't able to access my account for a couple of days.  When I did access my account I discovered the Activation fee was on my first bill on top of my monthly payment.  

I have been trying to make contact with someone at VM for two weeks now.  I have spent over 5 hours on the phone, but due to some mix up with the security password which I thought was the one relating to if you forget your password. I don't even remember creating a password relating to phoning in to customer service.

I have tried texting 07533 051809 (three times over three days 7th, 8th and 9th Feb) ALL OF THE TEXTS HAVE BEEN IGNORED. The mobile text customer service number (07533 051809) which I saw online while going around in circles on the help area of the VM website.

I also did chat with a chat agent by the name of Nadini who promised to sort all of this out.  See copy of chat below:

at 14:23, Feb 4:

We are just connecting you to Nandini who will be helping you today. They will be with you shortly.

Nandini

at 14:26, Feb 4:

Hi Stuart! You're connected to Nandini. I see that you've contacted us to discuss about the bill. Not to worry, I will definitely look into this for you. Also I see that you have been waiting to connect with an advisor from a long time. Apologies for the wait time you have experienced. Thank you for the details. I need some more information to assist you further.

You

at 14:27, Feb 4:

What information do you require?

Nandini

at 14:28, Feb 4:

May I take the 1st , 3rd and 10th characters of the secure password please?
The password I require is the one you quote whenever you call to speak to our team and not the password you use to access and view your bills or online account. I will send you a secure form to enter these details.

Nandini has sent you a Secure Form: [Cable] Security answer request

You

at 14:29, Feb 4:

[DELETED]

I do not recall setting up a secure password that was that 10 or more letters long.

Nandini

at 14:35, Feb 4:

Thanks for that. You're in!

Just to let you know I am still here. I am looking into your request and will be back with you soon.

Nandini

at 14:41, Feb 4:

Thank you so much for your patience Stuart. Not to worry, I have placed a request a request to waive off the activation charges.

You

at 14:43, Feb 4:

Why should it need waiving when It was clearly stated in the first email and was clearly online before the 4th Jan?

Is this what I can expect going forward with Virgin Media? I believe I am still in the cooling off period!!!

Nandini

at 14:45, Feb 4:

I am sorry for the inconvenience, I completely understand what you are telling i will take an ownership. Don't worry It is my responsibility to get this fixed and I will do it, Leave this to me and I assure you will not have to go through this again.

You

at 14:48, Feb 4:

I am sure that you believe that, but my previous experience leads me to expect the worst as already VM are trying to charge me for something that was VERY clearly mentioned as free in the first email. It makes me wonder what to expect in the future from VM.

Nandini

at 14:49, Feb 4:

It goes without saying that we deeply value your relationship with us, and it’s important you know that we’re committed to providing you with the highest levels of service. I have updated a clear notes on the account and I will make sure that you will not go through this issue again. Be rest assured, it will be taken care.

You

at 14:55, Feb 4:

I was typing a reply but every 5 or 10 minutes the chat system refreshes and I just lost ALL that I gad typed. It makes me wonder if this is why so many people have given VM really bad reviews recently.

I appreciate that you may be having to deal with multiple chats at any one time, but with ALL the delays between my queries and then getting a reply is pretty annoying.

Nandini

at 14:59, Feb 4:

I completely understand and apologise for the long wait time. We’re working really hard to deal with the increased demand during this difficult time.

You

at 15:00, Feb 4:

Perhaps If VM made less mistakes in the billing, especially those of NEW customers, then You would not be so overwhelmed with customer complaints.

Goodbye for now. I am sure this will not be the last time I will be using chat.

Nandini

at 15:01, Feb 4:

I understand how you’re feeling and that you’re not happy.
Let’s take a look at how we can get this resolved for you.

Because you’re unhappy, the first thing I’ll do is log a case to document your dissatisfaction,
I’ll confirm a couple of details and then we’ll work together to find a suitable solution.

You

at 15:02, Feb 4:

Thank you for your assistance Nandini.

Nandini

at 15:04, Feb 4:

You're welcome Stuart. I have logged a complaint on your behalf and I have updated everything in a logged complaint. This is your complaint reference number C-0402212420.

Chat ended

I have read literally dozens of other complaints from NEW customers on the Virgin Media Community.  A lot of the complaints regarding errors in charging for activation and other one-off costs which some people have emails proving their cases but unable to make direct contact with Virgin Media.

I am now at the point of just following what it says on the contract:

Alternatively, please print this contract form and write CANCEL
across the front and send it to: Virgin Media, Winnall Down,
Alresford Road, Winchester, Hampshire SO21 1FP. 

If I do not get this sorted by Monday 15th Feb, I believe my only recourse is to send a copy on the contract that I have printed (writing cancelled across the front page) along with a copy of the email and a letter stating my problems just making contact with VM.

I hope we can avert this situation as I was hopeful of being able to just watch TV and use the internet without feeling I have been conned out of a fee that was promised to be FREE. 

Regards / A hopeful

Snowy1969

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Snowy1969
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

After over two weeks and loads of attempts to contact VM via telephone, text message, VM online message system and posting on this Virgin Media community forum I have finally given up any possibility of sorting out the errors made by Virgin Media.

I agreed to a package of 100Mb Broadband, Mixit TV, Mini TV box @ £10 per month , Landline with weekend calls included at a price of £46.99 per month.

Before agreeing to the package I had been chatting with a VM chat agent who stated made the following statements:

Junwill

at 17:21, Jan 30:

I understand. Since you’ve mentioned that you’re looking to get our Big Bundle + Drama, this is indeed the best based on your needs. Kindly tap the image below to check its price and overview 👇

Snowy1969_0-1613415088798.png

Or I understand that you said you don't need a sim now but for only £40.99/month you can get our Oomph package; we’ll double your Broadband speed 🚀 from an average speed of 108mbps to 213mbps and throw in a 5GB SIM with unlimited minutes and texts.

And perfect timing as both comes with free activation fee worth of £35! Which package do you prefer?

You

at 17:22, Jan 30:

Ok thanks, so I should just go ahead with organising my requirements online at VM.

Junwill  at 17:24, Jan 30:

Yes, I'd be happy to help you all throughout and answer your questions that might arise. Which option/package you prefer, Stuart?

The FIRST email I received after clicking confirm on my computer stated that the activation for FREE.  

I have not received a single reply to any of the messages I sent.  NOT even one reply to any of my posts.

Today I posted off a copy of the contract with cancelled written across the front page and a copy of the first email sent to me to the address below.

Virgin Media
Winnall Down Farm
Alresford Road
WINCHESTER
SO21 1FP

sent via royal mail registered post.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos