Menu
tomagion
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Changing my package

My 12mth Virgin M350 + Telephone for £35PM is about to come to an end and I’m not interested in any of the upgrade packages as I love my SkyQ box. I took the telephone because it was cheaper than the broadband only package at the time.  That’s no longer the case.

also, I went M350 because of the upload speed. The download speed was a ‘Brucey bonus’!

the upload speed of the next Virgin BB only package is as bad as that of my old SkyQ VDSL Max package. The SkyQ upload speed was vastly inferior though. So, between a rock and a hard place!

so, £35PM is going to £60PM. 12 month ago it was £55PM.  Nowt like a 9.1% price increase!

So, has any body any advice on getting a better Virgin package, bearing in mind the above?

Virgin Media website still says the M350 gets 21Mbps, but I’m getting 35Mbps filling the recent technical upgrade by Virgin for the M500 service. So, what upgrade speed does the M200 package get?

if M200 is now 21Mbps then that might be acceptable downgrade as well as taking off the telephone element of the package might equal a better price.  Any advice on this too would be appreciated as well?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Changing my package

Upload on M200 is 21 Mbps.  If you can get VDSL2 with Openreach your upload would be similar?

As an existing customer of VM it is very rare to manage to get the same discounts as new customers are offered (if they made it easy we'd all be doing it).  So if you want the best value without haggling, you're better off flipping between VM, Sky and BT, changing over every time the introductory discount ends, and coming back to VM every third year. 

When you phone up to ask for a discount VM will initially offer a fairly paltry discount, but if you reject that and insist on cancelling then there's a good chance (NB: no guarantees) that they'll phone you repeatedly during the one month notice period and you'll eventually be offered a much better deal, closer to the new customer rates.  I'd say sign up to Sky or BT (whoever's cheapest or best fits your needs), cancel the VM deal, see if VM want to make the effort to win you back.  If VM come back with a compelling offer you take that and cancel the new contract before it starts.  If they don't, you go with BT or Sky,

Be aware that with renewals, not everybody gets the same discount offer and that the available deals vary almost daily.  Some customers VM would rather left than offer them a discount, based on the package they have, the age, location, income, credit risk and other demographic data, and depending on how much VM want customers in "your" part of the VM segmentation model, that'll decide whether they offer you good deals.  That's not personal, just how big companies make sales and marketing decisions.

0 Kudos
tomagion
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing my package

Thanks for the reply @Andruser 

good to hear that M200 also had a speed upgrade.

I’m too far from the cabinet to get a comparable upload speed. And when they turn on gfast I might give it a go, but gfast degrades even quick than vdsl2 the further from the cabinet. 

I think to get true competition I need Openreach to lay fibre to the door 

0 Kudos