Menu
Esshoesmith
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Change surname back to maiden name

I have recently got divorced & have been trying with Virgin media to change my surname back to my maiden name.  I have changed it with banks, tax, utilities & peveryone else with no problems, but Virgin media are asking for documents I don’t have. I have not changed it by deed pole, as I don’t have to.  I have been with Virgin media/mobile for over 20 years, & I am seriously thinking about leaving I am so fed up of them.

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change surname back to maiden name

Hi @Esshoesmith,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you have been unable to change your account name. Have you tried the following link to see if it may help https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-change-name

I am unable to locate your account using your forum details. Have you been in contact with our team regarding this? If so, what was discussed? Did our team provide alternatives?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Esshoesmith
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes I have contacted the team on 4 different occasions, I sent documents in that the bank, utilities & tax office accepted.  I explained I didn’t have the documents they asked for, but each time the reply was asking for the documents I don’t have.  I feel they don’t read the messages that I send, they just send a generic email back

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Akua_A 

@Esshoesmith 

Another example of VM's "brilliant" handling of what should be commonplace.  VM are great at driving bereaved families and those with powers of attorney to utter distraction and despair with unreasonable demands for documentation that are not necessary.  Not only that when they get those documents they lose them, fail to record them accurately and then fail to act on them. More stupid rules and ridiculous formality and unreasonable demands in this case. I am not surprised, but I am disappointed at the time the customer has had to waste on this. 

Let us be clear. There is no rule of English law, the law which governs all VM contracts, that prevents a person from calling themselves what they like, when they like and changing that appellation as often as they like so long as they do not do this with fraudulent intention in mind or fraudulent action.  The reason for the change is immaterial. Some people may chose to go through legal formalities such as using a deed poll or an announcement in the London Gazette that they have changed their name. But that is not necessary at all in law. Most people don't do it and don't need to. 

The conclusion from this obvious.  VM should comply with this entirely reasonable request for a name change without further enquiry or fuss. All that they should reasonably require is evidence that the name change is coming from their customer. That's easy. The customer will have their personal memorable word to disclose when asked. At a push a copy of the decree nisi could be provided if paper is insisted on.

Bingo!  The work of a few minutes. Please get it done for this customer (and any others who ask) or she will walk, as will many others when faced with obduracy of this kind.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for letting us know @Esshoesmith.

To look into this further for you, I have sent you a private message in regards to this. Please look out for the purple envelope on the top right hand corner and provide a response when you can. 

Many thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos