cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Direct Debit account

Frustrated12343
Tuning in

How do I change the bank account from which my direct debit is taken?

I tried to change the bank details on the virgin web site.  There was an option to "change payment method" and "change payment date" but neither enabled me to change the bank account.

Having carefully studied community chat and Virgin FAQs I made a one off payment to see if that would release an option for me to change the bank account, it didn't and now I fear I'm going to pay twice this month!!

I phoned 150 but was instructed to change the bank account on the web site and sent me a link.  But the link goes to the same page I tried using when I first started trying to change my bank account.

I seem to be in an infinite loop of frustration.  It seems as if my only option is to cancel my direct debit at the bank and force Virgin to get in contact with me.  Can anyone help with an alternative solution?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Frustrated12343 wrote:

I seem to be in an infinite loop of frustration.  It seems as if my only option is to cancel my direct debit at the bank and force Virgin to get in contact with me.  Can anyone help with an alternative solution?

I'm not sure about the specifics of changing your DD, but I can suggest that - of all things that could happen if you cancel the DD outright - VM getting in touch with you to ask why, is down the list of what's most likely.

A couple of reminders perhaps, suspended services if it goes unresolved beyond the pertinent dates in your bill cycle, and a whole heap of extra hassle - all of these, I would imagine, are distinct likelihoods. But VM C/S calling to ask if everything's ok? Probably not.

I've not tried calling 150 and testing the billing IVR options recently, but the concept of pressing nothing and waiting to join the queue - has been known to work with fault scenarios and could be worth a try. Also, if you try the "change payment method", what does happen?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I hopr this helps.

My billing date is the 23rd, and payment is due to go out on the 9th of each month, although sometimes it's taken on the 11th.

I wouldn't be able to amend my dd details unless it was after the 9th and before the 23rd.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

24 REPLIES 24

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Frustrated12343 wrote:

I'm not sure about the specifics of changing your DD, but I can suggest that - of all things that could happen if you cancel the DD outright - VM getting in touch with you to ask why, is down the list of what's most likely.

A couple of reminders perhaps, suspended services if it goes unresolved beyond the pertinent dates in your bill cycle, and a whole heap of extra hassle - all of these, I would imagine, are distinct likelihoods. But VM C/S calling to ask if everything's ok? Probably not.

I've not tried calling 150 and testing the billing IVR options recently, but the concept of pressing nothing and waiting to join the queue - has been known to work with fault scenarios and could be worth a try. Also, if you try the "change payment method", what does happen?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The issue could be due to when your current direct debit payment is/was due. 

Perhaps retry again in a day or two, after the normal date the direct debit is taken.

Despite you also making a one of payment, the direct debit will still be taken, however that will put you in credit for the following month.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-change-direct-debit-details 

If you want to update your details, you need to wait until your current bill has been paid in full (and before we generate your next bill) to make any changes.

It takes a few days for our systems to create and process your direct debit payment which is why you can only change your details during this window.

Once your Direct Debit payment has been collected you’ll be able to make any change you need

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Frustrated12343,

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community forums.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with adjusting your Direct Debit information, but we'll certainly help as best as we can from here.

As I can see @newapollo has advised, it's possible that your Direct Debit payment date is within the next few days. If it's currently within the window of being processed then I'm afraid that you'll be unable to make the adjustment. There's more information on that here for you under the subheading Why can't I update my Direct Debit details before I’ve paid my current bill?.

Once the Direct Debit payment process window has passed, I'd then suggest making the adjustment via your online account. The link provided above also explains how you can go about doing this.

If after a few working days of your payment due date you find that you're still having some trouble, please let us know and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thank you for your response at least.  But I do not believe it works hard enough to address the issue

My Direct Debit "pull date" is the 8th of the month.

My first attempt to change my bank account on your web site was Monday the 22nd March which gave you a window of 17 clear calendar days between me changing the bank account and you creating and processing the direct debit payment.  My attempt today gave you a window of 14 clear calendar days.

If your diagnosis remains correct then please make it clear to me (and also on your web site for other users who I notice also have the same problem) what window you require prior to the direct debit pull date during which you cannot accept requests for changes to bank details, i.e., how many days notice you require.

Otherwise please try and help solve this issue

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I hopr this helps.

My billing date is the 23rd, and payment is due to go out on the 9th of each month, although sometimes it's taken on the 11th.

I wouldn't be able to amend my dd details unless it was after the 9th and before the 23rd.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi @Frustrated12343,

I would advise trying outside of the window of when your bill has been generated and when the payment date for that respective bill has passed.

If you're outside of that window and the issue remains, would you mind clarifying exactly what happens when you try to make the adjustment online? These are the steps, so if it's easier and relevant to the issue please confirm at which step the issue occurs.

1. Register or sign in to My Virgin Media at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia

2. Click on My Bills

3. Select the Overview tab

4. In the Your Direct Debit area, click Change Payment Method

5. Click Change Direct Debit details

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks japitts.  When I selected "change payment method" I was just presented with a screen showing my DD details (bank account, pull date, etc), there was no further option to edit or amend these details.

ps. I work in credit risk management so I understand your point about a collections cycle automatically kicking in as soon as a payment is missed, I was just trying to express how b!$@*y difficult it can be to want something reasonable from Virgin media, by witholding something reasonable from them.

OK so if I understand correctly, the answer is as follows:

My last bill production date was 18th March.  My next DD pull date is 8th April.  So the next available window for me to change my DD details is: 9th April (day after my DD pull date) to 17th April (day before my next bill production date) that's a pretty tight window to hit if I'm not aware of it (just 9 days).

Please confirm this is the correct answer.  If correct then have a think about what this would mean for customers whose DD pull dates are even closer to their next bill production date, they would have an even tighter window to hit, especially if they aren't aware of the target.  At least make the target (duration of the window) clearer on your web site, or ideally change your processes to increase the size of the target (e.g., by adjusting your bill production date to better synch up with the DD pull date or vice versa).

Hi @Frustrated12343,

If you attempt the day after a Direct Debit payment is successfully taken, you should have no issues making the adjustment via your online account. If you do then please let us know and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team