cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot register new account due to password issue

BigJamie2022
Tuning in

Hello, new customer here. I had Virgin installed on Friday 13th May and I'm beginning to think the 13th is definitely an unlucky date because no matter how many times I can not seem to register my account. 

I've rang customer services and technical and neither could they when I asked. Every time I go to register, put my email in and try create a password it's always error message, ' You can not use that password'.

The password has ticked all the boxes and is strong, still no good.

I've deleted all my cookies, tried it on my phone, laptop and work computer, no luck.

I've reset my Internet settings and tried it on mobile data, same issues?!?! 

22 REPLIES 22

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @BigJamie2022 thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

Can you please try the following for your password requirements:

- Between 8-10 characters long

- Start with a letter

- Including at least one number

- No special characters

Please let me know if this has been successful for you by following these steps and let me know if you need any further help!

Many thanks

Tom_W

I've tried passwords that fulfill the requirements and still no luck. 

Hi @BigJamie2022 thanks for your reply and sorry this doesn't seem to have worked for you.

I'll need to send you a PM to discuss this further so I can try to get this sorted for you - please expect this to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Same issue here for me. 

I received the email asking me to register, followed the link, but no matter what, password not allowed. 

*** Update***

Customer services have tried to make account for me, no luck yet. Problem has been given to IT department and they have said it should be done by 23rd May. Will post when I have updates. 

Hi @Dexter_Ford thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're experiencing identical issues to BigJamie2022.

Can you please confirm you've tried the following password criteria:

- Between 8-10 characters long

- Must start with a letter

- Containing at least one number

- No special characters

Many thanks

Tom_W

BigJamie2022
Tuning in

Still can't create an account or use any passwords. 

Come on Virgin.......

I'm a User Experience Designer by trade, and one of the first things you get taught is to give users timely and relevant feedback on their actions. Where users make an error, feedback should help them correct their input. Your error message basically says "nope" and leaves people hanging without a clue how to meet the criteria.

I finally realised that the password must be BETWEEN 8 and 10 characters. 

1> Common practice on pretty much every site I've ever used requires a MINIMUM 8 characters.

2> Setting a minimum and maximum with such a short range is pretty ridiculous and I'ver never seen this anywhere else.

3> Recent best-practise for user-created passwords has been to use a string of random words, 8-10 characters isn't enough for that

4> Special characters are pretty much standard input for passwords on a lot of sites.

5> Your feedback for password STRENGTH continues to show as green, which is easily misinterpreted as passing your requirements (=good to go, yes, accepted, proceed in most cultures), despite the password not meeting your criteria. 

BigJamie2022
Tuning in

Still not heard anything and can't register

What happened to the 23rd May at the latest Virgin???? ????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????