Menu
justasam
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling from outside the UK

I want to cancel my contract. Mail is not an option (since Brexit now costs extra and takes a very long time to get into the UK).

Any suggestions? Also, can someone tell me why does a company which provides internet services does not have an option to cancel online?

Ignore this part, just something to get off my chest :).

Alright, so here's the deal -- I have been trying to change my contract for months (the situation was this: I left the UK, but my flatmate stayed, so we decided to use the same broadband). Since the phone option from outside the UK didn't work, I've tried live chat and got through to changing the contract, but after the agent switched me to another agent, no one ever replied.

And in general, changing a contract, cancelling it, anything related to that has a lot of obstacles (which I think should be / already is? illegal). I remember even back in the UK, when calling them sometimes the hold was multiple hours long, leaving no choice but to hang up and try again later. How is that allowed?
----

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling from outside the UK

Write the letter cancelling, do a high quality scan, send it to somebody you trust in the UK, have them post the letter by recorded delivery to the VM postal address for cancellations?  Or, if you don't like that, but can't use the normal number, try +44 7953 967 967, but expect to get the usual diabolically slow, disorganised couldn't-care-less response.  Bear in mind however you do cancel that somebody needs to package up and return the VM equipment, otherwise you'll get a charge for it.

Why do VM not have any competent online account management & closure capability?  Because they're afraid too many customers would cancel if it were easy, or downgrade packages, and not be susceptible to retention or up-selling by agents.  The whole business is culturally and organisationally a 1990's sales call centre operation, and they have no concept of themselves as a service provider (other than in name).

How is this legal? Well, making it difficult to change or end contracts is in direct breach of Ofcom's fairness commitments that VM have signed up to, specifically commitment 5.  But because Ofcom are the most useless regulator in the land, there's zero policing of those commitments.  So with no consequences, why would VM do anything?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'd only add a couple of things to this - VM isn't the only UK-based internet provider whose cancellation procedure involves a call to them.

I could cite several other providers where the stock answer to "how do I cancel" type queries is "you call or write". And in response to anyone saying "but I'm abroad", the natural answer is "but (xyz) is a UK-based company". The community forumsof at least one major big-name mobile/broadband provider that I frequent has their fair share of these sorts of threads.

I would agree, Covid CS-resource issues aside, that the flip-side of this is that the call-centre experience should at least be - shall we say - reasonable. Edited to add - that's the bit where VM, far too frequently, falls down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi justasam,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community, we are sorry to hear you haven't been able to cancel your services due to not being in the UK, I will be more than happy to help you further.

So I can help I will send you a invite into a private chat, when you receive this please click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

justasam
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Paul,

I believe I have not received the message yet, but it would be very helpful, thanks!

Best wishes,
Justas

0 Kudos
justasam
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello everyone,

Just letting you know that the support agent from here has helped me out, and within a few days of posting this, the issue is resolved.
I am pleasantly surprised, and kudos to Virgin Media for that:)

Thanks again Paul,

Kind regards,
Justas

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi justasam,

You are very welcome I am glad I was able to help, if you have any further issues you know where we are, stay safe.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos