cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract in writing

RaymondOS
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I realise there are a few posts on this subject already but...it could do with clarification.

Like others, I am fed up with price increases so I want to cancel my contract.

Other Virgin customers seem to be having a nightmare by doing this via the 150 number so it looks like cancelling in writing is the best option.

What do I say in the letter? Do I just quote my account number, home address and set a date 30 days from now?

The address I found in another thread is:

Virgin Media
PO Box 333
Matrix Court
Swansea
SA7 9ZJ

Is this still correct/

I have the basic TV, broadband and weekend phone calls package.

Thanks.

67 REPLIES 67

RaymondOS
On our wavelength

They seem to want to make it as difficult as possible - not answering the phone for ages, getting you to go through many layers of security, asking for a password you aren't aware of - in the hope you will give up and carry on paying for the service with continued price hikes.

Not my idea of respecting customers and rewarding loyalty...

Stick with it. I went through so many hoops it was unbelievable.

Not having any hearing and dismal difficult to understand, speech, I don't use a phone. My password on my online account never worked, had to change it each time I logged in.

My daughter tried to cancel via phone but they would not let her. Insisted upon either speaking to me..REALLY after being told I couldn't manage, and then insisted upon password that once again wasn't accepted..whoever was on the telephone,,Steve? put the phone down on her after saying 'no password, no cancellation'.

I emailed the CEO, who got it cancelled..sent me a letter to prove it.

Then it all started again. Told I didn't need to return the equipment as it was both not working properly and obsolete being very old. Then I start getting threatening emails demanding I return the equipment. Emails gathered pace in the harassment stakes and then said they were putting a £80 charge on my account for not returning the equipment that I was told not to return..again I have letter confirming this. 

Still in the situation of receiving harassing, threatening and bullying emails in this respect.

Now going through the process of trying to cancel mobile phone tariff that they thought  it was rather amusing to put up the price without telling me and trying to lock me into a years contract that I haven't agreed to. I use mobile for internet, texting and emails.

Try to get into mobile account. Have a guess - won't accept my password. Tells me to answer a security question that I set up when phoning them..Again, REALLY!! I have never phoned them because I cannot, and therefore have never set up a security question and answer. We then go through the debacle of they will send me an email to reset password..email never comes. Tried over a dozen times.

Again, have emailed and written to CEO. It appears it is the only way someone with a modicum of intelligence gets back to you..though still waiting.

This is shocking Daisy. No company should stoop to such low tactics - it's either incredible incompetence or deliberately frustrating a customer and disrespecting their wishes.

Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi anmcc62,

Thank you for getting in touch, I do apologise for any difficulties you've had in processing a disconnection. I'm sure you can appreciate that we take customer security very seriously. We would never want to discuss personal details or sensitive information with someone whose identity we could not verify.

The password my colleague was requesting may also be known as a memorable word. You would have set this up when you placed your order, either online or over the phone.

If you are the account holder, there should also be secondary security questions that can be asked if you do not know the password. If you are also unable to answer these correctly, we would be unable to progress with any discussions around account specifics, or process any requests to make changes. However, we would be able to send a password reminder letter only when speaking to the account holder, so I'm glad that my colleague has followed the correct process.

Please await this reminder and give us another call. Alternatively, the secondary security questions would be account specific questions which only the account holder should have access to, so you're welcome to try again if you've checked this information.

Thanks,

Rachael

I know this is an old thread, but the topic is still very real.

I have been trying to phone VM to cancel our broadband due to increased prices and cannot get passed the password request from the phone-bot. The webchat option only takes my details and it never responds to me.

The letter has been sent today and I requested proof of delivery from the Royal Mail, so I can prove it arrived. Proof of sending only seems that you posted it, and VM could then dispute they ever got it.

ArcStrike.

Good luck ArcStrike, you will get a better response if you go out into the garden and constantly bang your head on the fence.

Took me weeks and weeks to get mine cancelled. Finally had to email the CEO who just then sends it to customer services and then it starts all over again.

Same debacle with cancelling my mobile phone in April. It is now November and still waiting for a PAC code..go figure that. Just constantly get letters regarding my complaint saying we are dealing with it, and then get a follow up letter stating as you did not reply to our letter of 'dealing with it', we assume you are satisfied. I start all over again, and here we are, November, still no PAC code.

I have a full folder of 'we are dealing with your complaint'.

This is a very shabby way for a major media company to treat loyal customers. I hope your situations are resolved very soon.

My case is actually worse than it appears guys.

I have switched to a new broadband supplier due to continued price hikes (I only took broadband from VM and the cost of this overtook our gas and electric duel fuel per month, so I had to switch) and the new supplier should, according to their website, have informed VM of the switch, but they did not. So, I am in dispute with them too over their failings and therefore double grief! At least I have contact details of the new company but the dialogue and dialect is also a nightmare.

My gas and electric supplies have been switched countless times and even a bank account without any hassle. It therefore seem unbelievable that communicating with a communications company is the single most obstructive and frustrating activity of them all!

I therefore joined this community to vent and learn from the lessons of others and unfortunately, it seems like I am in for a rough ride for some time.

ArcStrike

Anonymous
Not applicable
Incorrect. The new company can not cancel VM account.
If you transfer your phone line the transfer will cancel the phone line.

The internet and TV YOU have to cancel.
No one else can cancel it for you

Really? Please explain this then.

Taken directly from the new company website...

What happens if I'm switching from another broadband?

Switching to XXXX is simple. Just choose the broadband plan you want and we do the rest. Your current service will be cancelled as soon as your XXXX
service starts so there'll be no gap in service, no overlap and you won't be double-charged. Your previous provider will credit you for any unused line rental.

ArcStrike