Menu
RaymondOS
Tuning in
Message 1 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling contract in writing

Hi All,

I realise there are a few posts on this subject already but...it could do with clarification.

Like others, I am fed up with price increases so I want to cancel my contract.

Other Virgin customers seem to be having a nightmare by doing this via the 150 number so it looks like cancelling in writing is the best option.

What do I say in the letter? Do I just quote my account number, home address and set a date 30 days from now?

The address I found in another thread is:

Virgin Media
PO Box 333
Matrix Court
Swansea
SA7 9ZJ

Is this still correct/

I have the basic TV, broadband and weekend phone calls package.

Thanks.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 44
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cancelling contract in writing

Yes and Yes.

If you want to be really efficient, do two copies, mail one to yourself and one to VM registered post, that way you can PROVE they received it.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies, why send a copy to yourself?

0 Kudos
DaveSS61
Tuning in
Message 4 of 44
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've just a long and heated debate with a chap that spoke really poor English on the 150 number.  Despite having every detail to hand he insisted that he wouldn't let me cancel and leave because I didn't know the account password??

I would love to know how they can justify making it so difficult.  When you're signing up the process is a LOT smoother.

RaymondOS
Tuning in
Message 5 of 44
Flag for a moderator

That's the kind of experience I want to avoid. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@DaveSS61, for Virgin Media to have spoken to you they must have gone through an alternative process to verify their speaking with the account holder and that should have been enough; not only to give notice but to change your account password. Wonder what would happen if you called, went through the alternative verification process, changed your account password and then cancelled?

DaveSS61
Tuning in
Message 7 of 44
Flag for a moderator

What made matters more complicated was the fact that I pay the direct debit from my own account, but my partner's name is on the Virgin account as she's owned the property and been a Virgin customer for more than a decade. 

The chap wanted to know what package we were on, the precise name.  We now know what it is having signed in online but at the time all I could tell him was which services we receive, and which channels etc. but he was being really pedantic and obviously enjoyed having the power during the call.
The language barrier made matters worse.  Maybe I was expecting too much, I don't know.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

@Kippies, why send a copy to yourself?

It means in addition to the recorded delivery chit you also have a copy with a dated postmark, no argument over what the letter said.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 44
Flag for a moderator

That would only show you sent another letter on the same date, not that the content of both were the same.
daisyboo
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I agree with you: All that would prove is that you receive and ENVELOPE with possibly your handwriting - cannot prove what is in the envelope.

I am in the process of doing the same. I am going to send 1 - recored delivery, and 1 with free proof of posting which will show address and date.

This will be enough to prove letter of cancellation if they act silly b***ers and won't sign for the recorded delivery should they start sending demand letters for money - which I would ignore, and the matter ends up on court.. 

I have just tried to cancel via my account: Cannot. Have just tried to cancel by online chat: Cannot. Strange that you can take out a contract via online chat but cannot cancel one.

I am speak and hearing impaired and don't have a telephone, never mind a text phone. Stupid chat person just kept telling me to cancel by text relay..muppet!

0 Kudos