Menu
doggles
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling account - can't get through on phone

I have been attempting to cancel my account since the news of the price rise, so around the first week of January. At this time I tried to ring a few times and was disconnected every time, after waiting 10+ minutes.

On the 13th, I started talking to someone through the myvirginmedia messaging service. I have been passed from person to person, each one saying that they can sort my problem out, and just when it sounded like I was going to get somewhere, the app updated and I can no longer access the messaging service.

I have submitted a complaint, and the response given to this was 'call us'.

All I am trying to do is cancel, as is my right. 

Please could someone from virgin message me regarding this as the messaging service on the site (if you happen to stumble upon it) is not receiving a response either.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling account - can't get through on phone

To be fair, any company answering a C/S line within 10minutes at the moment is doing exceptionally well. Many large organisations I've had cause to call recently have had 20-30minute queues.

In answer to your specific question about cancelling, Section N of VM's T&Cs (https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services ) cover this...

1. In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice.  You can provide notice and end this agreement under this provision by:

1. dialling 0345 454 1111 from any phone (for information on how much this call will cost from a Virgin Media home phone visit virginmedia.com/callcosts.  Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary); or

2. writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG;

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
doggles
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have tried on the phone and been cut off everytime. I work all day and have children. Finding half an hour to sit on hold and pay for it before being cut off again is not something I'm willing to do.

I suppose I will have to write to them, so visit a post office during a national lockdown, and pay for registered post. 

Why is there no way to do this via email?

Should I assume that the multiple people I've spoken to on the messaging service were lying when they said they could cancel my contract? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@doggles wrote:

I have tried on the phone and been cut off everytime. I work all day and have children. Finding half an hour to sit on hold and pay for it before being cut off again is not something I'm willing to do.

Working vs home-schooling I sympathise with greatly, but it's fair to point out that VM's 0345 number is a landline rate call.

@doggles wrote:

I suppose I will have to write to them, so visit a post office during a national lockdown, and pay for registered post. 

Far be it from me to offer legal advice, but you could visit a post office as part of your permissible exercise, or use Royal Mail's new "doorstep collection" service with print-at-home postage which works extremely well.

@doggles wrote:

Why is there no way to do this via email?

VM have never had the facility to email or do online cancellations, and to be fair not many companies do offer cancellations without speaking to a C/S agent or writing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
doggles
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's less the law aspect and more the 'having to go and interact with members of the public, putting them and me at risk' that's bothering me. There's no reason why they couldn't do it electronically, particularly at the moment. What do those who are having to self isolate meant to do? 

It's an absurd situation. Why are there multiple people on the messaging service telling me they can cancel for me? Just stringing me along for a laugh or what?

0 Kudos
doggles
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20210201-203316.png

Why are the team on the messaging service not aware that it's impossible to cancel the contract through it? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@doggles wrote:

It's less the law aspect and more the 'having to go and interact with members of the public, putting them and me at risk' that's bothering me. There's no reason why they couldn't do it electronically, particularly at the moment. What do those who are having to self isolate meant to do? 

If VM don't have the systems in place to support electronic cancellation, then they don't.

I'm of the same mind as you with regards to unnecessary mixing, but I've used the Royal Mail "collect my letter" service several times. You pay an extra 70p or so ontop of the printed postage, but for postie to knock on your door and take the letter from you... it's more than worth it.

As far as the messaging goes, I'm sure they can arrange cancellations that way - but it's not included in the T&Cs so VM are probably well within their rights to ask you to write or call in if they wanted to.

0 Kudos