Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cancellation

I’m posting here as a last resort I’ve called used the online chat and texted already  and I’m just fed up 😖

So I have been trying to cancel a old contract with this company for months.

1) I called to cancel. Lady confirmed with me it would be cancelled. I assumed that was that  

2) received a letter from a debt collecting agency to say I had unpaid bills for virgin, confused as I was certain I’d cancelled 

3) called virgin. Call handler apologised and admitted that the previous call handler had forgotten to call back to confirm the cancellation. We then agreed a call back in two days between the hours of 9-11am I stressed it couldn’t be later than this as I’d be stuck at work without a phone for a few hours. They also assured me the debt would be cleared as they were at fault 

4) I get a call midday and unable to answer. I call back explain above, they apologise rebook cancellation call remind them to try and call as close to chosen time as possible . Same thing happens again

5) check my bank account virgin has charged me money unsure what for as I’ve been trying to cancel for months  

What can I do about this? I’ve waited on the chat, I’ve waited to call when I have called I’m met with this issue of not being called back at a suitable time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancellation

I would imagine the ratio of actual callbacks to promised callbacks is somewhere around 1:1,000,000.  It's an easy (and lazy, and dishonest) way for the agent to end a call that they can't resolve.

I'll flag this for the forum staff who may be able to intervene and get this all properly resolved, and that will be the quickest and easiest outcome for both sides.  But don't compromise on what you want as an outcome just because it's quick and easy.

Give them a day or two.  If it seems that nothing is happening, or the forum staff try, but it all disappears into the Virgin Media Black Hole of Total Indifference (VMBHOTI) then you need to search read and follow the VM Consumer Complaints Code of Practice.  In that case, don't raise the complaint online or by phone - as you know VM are wretchedly inept with any form of electronic communication and it'll again disappear into VMBHOTI.  Write it all out, post it recorded delivery.  You'll get an acknowledgement promising to resolve in a month or so.....and then, judging by what we see in this forum, there's a good chance nothing will happen at all, and even a written letter will fall into VMBHOTI.  There's no way of effectively chasing a complaint, but if it gets to eight weeks from the date of the complaint arriving with VM, then you escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, demanding a refund of all charges, correction of all credit history records, a written apology and confirmation that they have corrected the credit history, and compensation for wasted time, stress and inconvenience.

If it does need to go to CISAS, and you're feeling brutal, reject any VM first offer should one appear, and request a full CISAS adjudication, that way you know that an experienced and independent arbitration professional has considered the case, and it'll also cost VM a lot more in the fees they have to pay CISAS (it's free in all circumstances to customers).  Note that the formal complaint and CISAS route whilst effective is very slow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear of the situation Ar96 and welcome to our community.

We're not able to put through cancellations ourselves but the team should be able to backdate it and put it through over the phone without a call-back so we're unsure of the reason they've advised a call-back previously. The options to get through to the cancellations team would be 1, 4 then 4 when calling 150/0345 454 1111.

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's looking like formal complaint time, then.  And probably CISAS as soon as the eight week rule has passed.

And don't forget to voice any opinions at Trustpilot and Ofcom.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos