cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation

Steven19764
Joining in

Hi all I moved home and gave virgin media 3 weeks notice even got a letter telling me my engineer would arrive on Saturday morning to set a new install up . No one arrived and ever since I call and get put through to a call Center where I get passed about between departments mostly getting told to speak to another department then I get cut off !! Serious bad customer service skills I’ve told them twice today to cancel my contract after 7 years of having the largest sports and cinema package . Any advice on how to cancel online would be gratefully recurved thanks steven 

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

@Steven19764 wrote:

Hi all I moved home and gave virgin media 3 weeks notice even got a letter telling me my engineer would arrive on Saturday morning to set a new install up . No one arrived and ever since I call and get put through to a call Center where I get passed about between departments mostly getting told to speak to another department then I get cut off !! Serious bad customer service skills I’ve told them twice today to cancel my contract after 7 years of having the largest sports and cinema package . Any advice on how to cancel online would be gratefully recurved thanks steven 

Alas there is no means of cancelling online, that would, naturally, be far too easy!

Now if you have moved and taken your service with you (no changes) and VM have claimed that the new address is serviceable, and they have given you a firm installation date, which implies that they acknowledge that there is no reason that your new service shouldn’t work, well, then the compensation starts racking up!

Firstly they owe you £26 or so for the missed appointment, and this whole thing can be regarded as a complete service loss, earning £8.25 per day compensation. Now VM are allowed two working days to fix a service loss, so Saturday and Sunday doesn’t count, neither does today (Monday) nor Tuesday. So if you aren’t connected up and working by one minute past midnight on Wednesday, then the compo timer starts at the aforementioned £8.25 for each and every day that you are without service. Oh and I do believe that the Saturday-Tuesday now become eligible for compensation, VM having failed to meet the two working day deadline.

So what you might want to do, is, well nothing, and think about the compensation they will owe you, racking up!* In the meantime, can you get some alternative connectivity sorted out, a pay monthly, 4G or 5G modem may well work out just fine for you!

* It probably won’t be too easy to get VM to cough up the proper compensation, you’ll probably get the full range of BS excuses, ‘waiting for council permits’, ‘leaves on the line’, ‘plain forgot’, ‘simply couldn’t be bothered’, ‘blocked ducts’, ‘unspecified, external works needed’, etc! And you’ll need to go down the formal complain route, wait for that to be fobbed off and then escalate to the industry arbitration service - advice on doing this is available on request😉.

In the meantime, do keep notes with dates and times, of every contact you have with VM, what was promised, what actually happened! Probably prove invaluable!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Steven19764 wrote:

Serious bad customer service skills I’ve told them twice today to cancel my contract after 7 years of having the largest sports and cinema package . Any advice on how to cancel online would be gratefully recurved thanks steven 

Hi Steven,

The agents should have taken note of you telling them twice today to cancel the services, and placed the request for you. However if you weren't speaking to cancellation (retentions team) then they wouldn't have been able to place that request.

You can try the following page, there should be an online Live chatbox to click on, on the right hand side of the page.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving

If using this method it's probably best to do it from 8am when lines first open. 

If it isn't available it's probably because the phonelines are too busy - calls take priority.

The advice given by @jem101 about keeping the account open and claiming compensation is very sound advice. You could get a temporary connection and the monies you receive from VM would cover that

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Steven19764,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear about the issues faced with the accounts, just to clarify was this a move & transfer with ourselves?

Also regarding the calls you've had, did the team go into detail at all for the missed appointment? 

Regards,

Kain